Continue to Site

Refrigeration

airruiz

Hello PMQ,
I have a couple of questions about reach in coolers and freezers.
  1. Does anyone have experience or preference between true and traulsen?
  2. I was told that top mounted compressors are better for pizza shop because of the flower getting the unit dirtier quicker. Is there any truth to that and does it really make a difference, having one over the other?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Arruiz;

Our experience is that the bottom mount compressors are better.

Easier to clean out the flower dust so it is done more often.
Easer to service.
Its cooler at floor level and compressor is better in a cool environment.
Flat top on bottom mount units can be used to store stuff.

George Mills

Last edited:
I’m looking for any advice on running a small pizza shop with just a three door reach in for our refrigeration needs. I know volume will eventually demand more space, but how much business can you really handle with just a reach in and the make tables, Thank you so much for your time.

Last edited:
Hi Arruiz;

Our experience is that the bottom mount compressors are better.

Easier to clean out the flower dust so it is done more often.
Easer to service.
Its cooler at floor level and compressor is better in a cool environment.
Flat top on bottom mount units can be used to store stuff.

George Mills
^^^^ what he said!

Last edited:
We have had a mish-mash of different refrigeration brands in our locations, and the only brand that has not needed any service calls is made by True. And some of these True units are older than dirt!
Scratch that, I had to replace the door closing cords for the counterweights on my True merch coolers. (Paracord works wonders for those)

Sue I love all the bells & whistles of my Traulsen units with their programmable cycling, alarms for power outages and being able to recall through internal memory to see how long the power was out, and upper temps reached. But I also found a huge pile of service invoices and leftover electronic parts for the unit too.

I did have a make table with the “Ascend” name on it that I got for cheap, and sold it for cheap too, it sucked! to get at the condenser for cleaning required me to do a partial disassembly and slide the mechanical unit out most of the way, and it was no easy task getting to it.

Last edited:
I’m looking for any advice on running a small pizza shop with just a three door reach in for our refrigeration needs. I know volume will eventually demand more space, but how much business can you really handle with just a reach in and the make tables, Thank you so much for your time.
I’m only open 7 months and I’m doing very low volume now and I have an 8x10 walk-in. It’s not quite maxed out but it’s pretty full. The dough itself takes up a quarter of it. I have a two door reach-in freezer and that’s pretty much maxed out. I don’t know your menu but if you are making your own dough and are using fresh wings I would suggest more than just a 3 door reach-in.

Last edited:
Back