Continue to Site

Replacing old oven

PizzaPaul

I am looking to replace my PS 250 G oven. I use it for everything we bake, pasta, pizza, pita etc.
the rquirements I am big on, are.
  1. More energy efficient
  2. reduced baking time
  3. economically priced.
Culd sure use any suggestions all of you may have.

Last edited:
Paul;
I’d probably want to be looking at one of the new, high efficiency, air impingement ovens, such as those made by XLT/BOFI, Edge, Avantec (great for a lot of capacity) Lincoln, or Middleby-Marshall. They will all do the job, and save you a few bucks in the process. Just make sure you have the room need for one of these ovens as they all have a larger foot-print.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Hi Pizza Paul:

The MM 250 is a great oven. You Can vastly improve the efficiency by having the latest model energy efficient gas burner and a modulating gas valve installed. There are other improvements you can make to that oven.

Tom suggests some excellent ovens but you would probably have to replace your hood system as the newer ovens are 15 in, or more, larger front to back than the PS 250.

There are very few if any of the latest most efficient ovens coming on to the used market and the few that do fetch a premium price.

The vast majority of used ovens come out of the major chains. They are switching to the latest model ovens. Its the older less efficient ovens that the majors are dumping that are what are available used.

George Mills

Last edited:
If you’re thinking about going with new ovens, Edge ovens would be one to look into.

They have a trailer with their own gas/power that the owner hauls around the country and uses to demo his ovens. Just take your pizza right out into your parking lot and cook it.

We’re sold on the company/product - when it comes time to replace our Blodgetts, we’re going with Edge. Also, the ovens draw less electricity and belches out less heated air into the room (especially compared to our Blodgetts) - much more efficient.

Last edited:
BE CAREFUL!!!

If you are going from a deck to a conveyor the rules are changing when it comes to hoods and fire protection. I have had my conveyor in place for a few years and BAM the City comes in and tells us that we need to do 40,000 in changes…or close down.

They want HUGE hoods with fire suppression…heated makeup air…all new ductwork. BUT…if I were to have replaced it with another deck oven, then keep your current setup and stay in business.

So…I love our new conveyor but knowing now what I was not informed of before, I would just replaced our old deck with another deck oven.

They are looking at these ovens as being unsafe since there are no “doors” to contain grease laden fires. If you do all of the research that I have had to do…this is BS since you can light a piece of sausage or cheese and all it does is turn into coal. An oven won’t get hot enough to cause a fire but they blame it on pizzerias that are having fires since they are using the conveyors to cook grease laden products that are made to be cooked in deep fryers…ie. chicken wings, bakeable appetizers, and even hamburgers. The “claim” there has been an increase of conveyor fires where they find that items such as burgers and wings catch on fire and when there’s no ansul system in place no one has a solution to put out the fires…EVEN IF WE OWN DEEP FRYERS…they do not look at this on a case by case basis.

So, again…before you buy a new oven…check with your local fire marshall and codes department.

Last edited:
“mandyspizza” said:
BE CAREFUL!!!.

They want HUGE hoods with fire suppression…heated makeup air…all new ductwork. So…

Hi Mandy

The rules for conveyor oven hoods are the same as for Deck ovens. As to size of the hood be it deck or conveyor. The hood on any oven must overhang the oven by at least 6 in on any side that is not closed off by a wall or an end panel.

As to make up air, no matter what the equipment is, all exhausted air must be returned into the building at near room temperature. If the only cooking equipment is the pizza oven we have ventilation systems for them that do not require a separate heated make up air system.

As to fire protection, that is local option, the Fire Marshall can require protection or not.

You apparently purchased your oven from a source that did not inform you of the requirements for installation and rules for make up air. Not everyone selling equipment understands ventilation and most installations cost a lot to purchase but worse cost even more to operate year after year.

All the major players in the industry decided years ago that it was well worth switching to conveyor ovens.

George Mills

Last edited:
Hey George…thanks for the feedback.

Without bad-mouthing my oven company (I bought direct for the mfg), I ASSURE you that even with my latest install only 2 months ago 2446 miles from the store this other unit is in, not once was any of this mentioned to me during any of the sales discussions.

Now, I will not argue with the hood needing to be larger…but come on, my bigger issue is with the fire suppression. THERE IS NO clear standard though the fire code and building code and gas code are all in agreement to say that it’s up to the local authorities.

The oven that my conveyor replaced was in place before I took ownership and for about 7 years of my ownership with nothing but flames shooting out the front. Now that we upgraded to a newer oven they want us to bring this building up to more recent codes which is ridiculous. You know as well as I that if you are only cooking pizza a pizza that is left in there to burn will NOT combust/catch on fire. Furthermore, if they are so concerned, why not just allow a Type K extinguisher to be hanging near the oven.

What initially happened here was a zealous health inspector who called the City…and then the City stated that she has been doing this for weeks to everyone she inspects.

I could go on, but this problem could cause me to invest more than 50% of the buildings worth and to be honest, I would rather bankrupt the store…default on the mortgate…and move my business to my next location only 2 miles up the road and OUT OF THE CITY PROPER.

The funny thing is that she just doesn’t get it…and she actually buys her pizzas for personal dining at my othere store.

Last edited:
Hi Mandy:
You stated:
What initially happened here was a zealous health inspector who called the City…and then the City stated that she has been doing this for weeks to everyone she inspects.

The health inspector may have called the city but it is the city Fire Marshall who has Jurisdiction.

With all codes, building, health, fire, they are the minimum requirements and the local jurisdiction is free to add more stringent regulations as they see fit.

There are still places were fire protection is not required for pizza ovens. But they are few. Looks like you are stuck.

George Mills

Last edited:
Back