Continue to Site

Sausage

steveo922

Hey guys,

Part I -
I re-evaluated my whole operation on my day off yesterday, and since we’re getting new menus put in place, I would like to overhaul all of the not so great things and start fresh once the menus arrive. One of the areas is the quality on certain ingredients/products. I’ve decided to go the more quality route and was thinking there is definitely is some room for improvement on a couple things. (since it took forrrrrrrrevvvvvveeerrrrrr to convince my dad that quality comes before pride)

We get our sausage made from our local butcher who our family has been using for a very long time. Our sausage is pretty inexpensive and I have been noticing lately that the sausage pizzas are coming out a little bit oily and also that there is a lot of those little white pieces thats throughout the raw sausage (what are those things called?). So I’ll be asking him if he can make a leaner, tastier, healthier sausage. He can make it any way to my requests. Do you guys have any advice on what to ask for? I’m really clueless when it comes to good sausage or what goes in it.

Also, do any of you precook the sausage and drain any of the excess fat/oil? Right now we just put it on raw, and my thinking is that it will be healthier for you (less fat/oil) and will also help the time during a rush.

Thanks for any help!

Part II -
If I’m changing a couple things (for the better), what is the best way going about letting the public and our customers know? Or do I just do it? I know some people hate change but I want to do whats right. We’re upgrading the quality of our pizza sauce and the sausage.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Steve,
Code:
    We buy our sausage in a 5lb box raw and pre cook it. We poke some holes in the sausage and throw a little water on top of it, and then we use a large sheet pan and throw it in the deck oven for about a 1/2 hr.  We turn them after the 1/2 hour to evenly cook.  Then we slice it and have it ready to get thrown on the pies.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
We buy a mild rope sausage fro RD & straighten/cut/sheet pan & bake 14 min @ 470 in the MM 360 - then cool, then freeze for a few hrs…we then slice it thru the Hobart…

reckon the “white” specs/spots are uncooked fat

Last edited:
48.png
steveo922:
Also, do any of you precook the sausage and drain any of the excess fat/oil? Right now we just put it on raw, and my thinking is that it will be healthier for you (less fat/oil) and will also help the time during a rush.
I was fortunate enough to have a conversation with Tom Lehmann about this, so hopefully he’ll chime in. If you’re going to precook sausage you don’t want to drain the oil and fat. Actually, you want to let it sit in the pan and reabsorb all of those oils while it cools. Unfortunately, the oil and fat is where the sausage gets a lot of its taste from.

Using a deck oven and being in Chicago, however, I think you’re much better off using raw on your thin-crust.

I’d also be a little hesitant about changing the fat content of your pork. I switched to a much leaner pork for my sausage (about 90/10) and received all kinds of complaints that the sausage didn’t taste right. We went back to our good old 75/25 the next week.

I think people talk a big game about eating healthy, and when it comes right down to it they actually want taste. Look at how McDonald’s healthy menu items do versus the good ol’ Big Mac or Quarter Pounder.

As for good sausage, I think simple is better. Pork, salt, fennel, crushed red pepper. Maybe it’s just my unsophisticated palate, but I like it simple.

Last edited:
As always thanks for the replies guys!

Piper - I will definitely keep your perspective in mind. I’ll wait for some more replies and testing before I make any decisions.

Last edited:
my 2 cents…I would try just a little krispt it…doesnt change any flavor and asorbs the excess oil

part 2 I would talk up my sauce like how you are naow using freshpacked tomatos . be very descriptive in your changes

Last edited:
my 2 cents…I would try just a little krispt it…doesnt change any flavor and asorbs the excess oil

part 2 I would talk up my sauce like how you are naow using freshpacked tomatos . be very descriptive in your changes

Last edited:
Back