Continue to Site

Scholarships for Staff

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

Have any of you started a scholarship for employees? I am think of offering one to anyone who works for me for 2 years while in high school and plans to study Culinary Arts, Restaurant Management, Business, Marketing or joins the Armed Services. I want to encourage my staff to go to college or to join the military and to let them know I appreciate there commitment to my store while in High School. Is this a waste of time and money or is it something that will differentiate me from other employers?

Unfortunately I do not have any info for you, but I LOVE your idea. I will be watching this closely to see if there are any ideas I can use to do the same thing.

we will be doing this after our new restaurant is up and running.
I think you cant buy this type of advertising and YOU have to follow up get pictures of the student display in your store.
what are your parameters going to be?

Last edited:
I would think this would generate some good PR and also help you possibly attract a better quality of school-age employees.

Do you think it may cause some resentment from some of your other non-college bound workers?

What size shop do you have / how many employees?

Last edited:
I don’t know the parameters yet. I thought of another idea that would reward the people that work the most. It would be a scholarship that is based of the number of hours they have worked for me. I would give them $.10 for every hour worked in the form of a scholarship. I don’t know how this will go over with the non-college bound students. We have 17 employees and 13 of them are students. At this time they are all college bound.

I pay for 1 class for my manager each semester. Thats what got him to start going in the first place, and now he loves it.

I can tell his commitment to us is hightened everytime we show our commitment to him by paying for a class. Now he takes 2 or 3 classes a semester, with gov grants paying for the rest. Its actually pretting amazing, a guy who barely graduated highschool, and never figured he’d get to go to college, is getting A’s in college.

In addition, I make my office computer available to him to do papers on do research on the net when he’s not working.

Last edited:
Back