Continue to Site

Shipping pizza

drretski

Hi. I am just in the preliminary stages of investigating creating a little start up shipping pizza. I just want to ship pizzas from an established pizza place. They will give me the rights to do this. I am looking to work with a consultant on finding out what is necessary to set this up as they are simply supplying me the pizzas and I will have to do the rest. I am concerned about the usda restrictions. Please advise on persons or resources that can help out. Many thanks,

Last edited:
You may also fall under your state department of agriculture for some regulation. It may be worth contacting them as a starting point.

Last edited:
And if you are going to ship, you most likely will need to freeze the pies which will require a very expensive blast freezer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I am just trying to get together everything I would need to cover to get things up and running. I see the IWantNYPizza.com guys just pick up pizzas from local NY pizza shops and then ship them. That is basically what I am talking about - I wonder if they did they State/USDA compliance. Anyways, I am still looking for a resource or person which can help guide through every hurdle necessary to overcome to get this going.

Last edited:
You will find that shipping anything with meat across state lines is prohibitively complex.
That’s why most places that do this only send cheese or veggie pies…

Last edited:
Yes, think we may start by just penciling out doing just plain cheese pies. Still looking for a person or resource to help me work my way through this. Thanks

Last edited:
it has been my experience (I was a wholesaler 4 a while) that you sell a “Cheese” pizza…as I recall, as long as the “meat” doesn’t exceed 3% of the weight, it is still a “cheese” pizza…

but 4 the life of me, I can’t see this being a profitable business…worth the time/investment/marketing

Last edited:
I’m genuinely interested in why anyone would pay to have a day old pizza shipped to them (another day ro two days) to then reheat?

I’m sure that the original pizza was fine when it was made but 2-3 days old having been chilled and shipped?

Anyone had one of these?

Last edited:
Talk to the folks at FEDEX they can even custom build you boxes that hold dry ice etc and they know what can and cant be shipped

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch - I actually know someone with a huge online biz that ship a ton fed-ex that said the same thing - hopefully I can hook up with his contacts…

Last edited:
Back