Continue to Site

SHREDDED CHEESE

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

Most of the major distributors are offering a shredded pizza cheese, but nothing seems to compare to shredding it ourselves. In these economic days we are all looking to save a dollar. Are there benifits to shredded cheese besides saving payroll dollars to shred and do they add up to the lack of quality that I have found with preshredded cheeses?

In my experience buying preshredded will cost more than the cost of block cheese plus the labor required to shred the cheese. Unless you don’t have the space for the equipment required, then I would suggest shredding it yourself, especially if you are happier with the final product.

Last edited:
There are 2 ways to make money in business…Cut costs or increase sales or both…

If the pre-shredded cheese is satisfactory, you have to decide if the extra labour to shred your own is a good investment…Could that time be better used “growing” your sales…

I have no idea how much time is involved in shredding your own cheese but say for sake of argument it is 2 hours a days with prep, shredding, cleanup time, etc…Plus there is the cost of “wear and tear” on your equipment…Plus there is a consideration of consistency…Plus if your employee is shredding cheese are they able to answer the phone as quick? Even a slight delay may prevent you from the offering the best customer service possible…

Now consider if you take that time and use it for marketing…Get your staffer to make phone calls to your data base or random folks that have not ordered from you…Even a few extra pies a day will give you a better return than the money you save on cheese…

This is not an “exact” science so all variables have to be considered to determine what will work best in your situation…Good luck…

Last edited:
Back