Continue to Site

Shredding Cheese

Patriot_sPizza

Starting to shred our own cheese - always had the ability via the Hobart pelican head…

@ CiCi’s we just used bus tubs to hold product…worked ok…

Now I believe we’re using a better/moister/softer cheese (wm mozz + prov, 50/50) and am worried about “clumping” and storage…

Using a large shred, as it seems to cover the pie better & less “dust” to deal with…

not a great savings, once labor is factored in, but the flavor profile has jumped up seemingly dramatically…

any random thoughts?

Last edited:
been shreddin for over 25yrs…we cut loaves and blocks and let them dry out in walkin beforehand to make them harder and ready for shredding…while you shred mix the cheese to get clumps out…then leave shredded cheese uncovered for a while before use

yes the labor is a factor, but my guy would be twiddling his thumb between 3 and 4 anyways so it keeps him busy

Last edited:
We’ve been shredding for for 35 years and wouldn’t change a thing. Get some nice comments about it when customers come to the drive up window and see an employee shredding cheese.

Last edited:
Who’s cheese are you using…I really like the 50/50…but will also cut as my wife feels it might be to strong for some…but a great taste for me…

Last edited:
I started off with pre-shredded stuff, but switched over with no regrets. I figure I save about 20 cents per pound by shredding it myself. It also saves space to keep blocks rather than a whole week worth of preshred. I find that it has very little effect to my labor, since I have to have someone on during my slow times anyways. It’s definitely worth it to me.

Last edited:
48.png
pizzafanatic:
It also saves space to keep blocks rather than a whole week worth of preshred. .
I forgot to mention that…We shred every day we would need a delivery every day if we used pre-shred/diced

Last edited:
We shred ours into 5 gallon pickle buckets. We only fill about 3/4 of the way to keep the weight from causing it to clump. Sometimes we have used our plastic dough trays. What I find makes it clump is the weight of the cheese on itself.
When we portion we loosen it while putting in crocks. Use hard lids on your crocks instead of saran wrap so when you stack crocks they aren’t smashing the cheese.

Last edited:
Back