Continue to Site

slicing fresh mozz

durbancic

What have you found to be the best way to get consistent, thin slices of fresh mozz? We have a manual nemco veg. slicer and this gets bound up when trying to use it. We have a hobart mixer, but no attachment for slicing - would this work well if there is one available?

Also, do you pre-slice your fresh mozz and put it back into the brine, or slice to order?

-dan

Last edited:
Fresh mozz?? or block mozz?

Grande Cheese has a manual slicer that resembles an egg slicer for fresh logs or balls.

For block, maybe after cutting it to size with a wire, grind it through the meat grinder attachment on that mixer, then you’ll have something that resembles diced.

Last edited:
Yes, it is fresh mozz. So far we have used a serrated knife, which works ok. Have not tried a wire yet. Would it work ok to pre-slice the mozz and then put it back into a brine? or will the affect the final product?

Last edited:
48.png
durbancic:
Yes, it is fresh mozz. So far we have used a serrated knife, which works ok. Have not tried a wire yet. Would it work ok to pre-slice the mozz and then put it back into a brine? or will the affect the final product?
Hmmm, good question about reintroducing back it into a brine after slicing, and I do not know what the answer is.
But, I would suggest not pre-slicing it, and adding it back to the original container due to the chance of contaminating the brine with the other cheese in it.

What is the reason that it cannot be sliced to order?
The slicer I am thinking of for this task has thin stainless piano wires strung in a frame, you can push this down on the mozz ball to slice it, or start with the mozz ball on top, and push it through. I would not use a mandolin or a powered slicer.

if I had this task, I would use a smaller container with some fresh brine in it, pull out the amount of whole mozz that I think I would need for the day, keep it in that smaller container, and slice it to order as needed. And not add that cheese back into the larger container. If you lose a few balls to spoilage, it would not as big of a loss as contaminating the whole lot by adding back to it.

remember I said something like an egg-slicer? Here is what I was referring to ; http://www.cnet.com/8301-13553_1-10244591-32.html

You don’t need to buy from Mario, I believe Grande Cheese has these for their customers, do you have a rep for Grande?
My Grande rep is coming 04-30-13, I’ll have him leave one for me, and I can ship it to you if I get one.

Last edited:
GR - Just talked to my Grande rep, he will be visiting me in the next few days. Said he would bring down a slicer for me to try out, not sure if he will leave it for me :?: I will keep you updated. Thanks for all the info.

Dan

Last edited:
My rep stopped by today and dropped off the slicer. It works nice. Not perfect, but quicker and more accurate/consistent than we can do with a knife. Thanks GotRocks for your help!

Dan

Last edited:
old school veg-a-matic could be a great find for this . . . the wire cutters will give the least drag/friction for clean slicing. Hope the grande tool works out for you.

Last edited:
48.png
durbancic:
My rep stopped by today and dropped off the slicer. It works nice. Not perfect, but quicker and more accurate/consistent than we can do with a knife. Thanks GotRocks for your help!

Dan
Hey, I’m glad I could help.
My Grande rep is visiting on 04-29 with samples for us so we can find out what works best for the type of pizza we are bringing online at our place
I plan on doing some fresh mozz items, but mostly want to use their whole milk mozz. I requested that he brings all the fun toys with him.

Now that you know what the tool looks like, and how it works, maybe a web search for a different style of the same tool, one that would fit your needs better would be your next step.
There is a pasta cutting tool that uses the thin wires strung in a frame, I am thinking the name of it is based of the word “Guitar” . If I remember correctly, I saw Mario Batali using it to cut sheets of pasta.

Last edited:
We hand stretch our fresh mozzarella. Buy the curd from Grande (far and away the best quality I could find). After balling I wrap the cheese in plastic instead of brine. The reason I started hand stretching was because I wasn’t happy with the amount of water that leached out onto the pie during cooking with brine packed balls. The slicer from Grande was good (and free). But only lasted me 2 weeks before the wire stretched out too much to be of any use. I would love to find one that’s built better. We slice the balls after they have cooled then rewrap them in plastic so they are ready to go.

Last edited:
Back