Continue to Site

Small mixer vs Big mixer.

BrickStoneOven

If I have a smaller house mixer like a DLX, KA, Bosch, ex. and to make the dough it takes X amount of time to do it. Would it take the same time in a bigger commercial mixer, say like a Hobart H600-t? I was wondering because I want to open a pizzeria and I am doing all the mixing by hand right now, I want to get a home mixer(obviously not going to get that Hobart and put it in my kitchen) and see what the difference is between hand and a mixer. It usually takes me 37-40 minutes to make a 6 pound batch of dough, that’s not counting the 25 min rest before I cut into balls.

Last edited:
I started out using a KitchenAid mixer doing two pounds of flour at a time: obviously not a lot of pizzas. That was fine as we were (are) a BBQ place; we started out doing six or eight pizzas a day. As our pizzas started getting some attention and business began to grow, it became obvious that we could never keep up using that equipment, and I bought a Hobart A-200.

Currently a batch of dough using 12 pounds of flour mixes in about fifteen minutes, makes 18 balls and is put in the fridge right away and is ready for that evening. Two or three of those gets me through most nights.

Last edited:
So say you were to make the same batch you were making before in the KA, a 2-3 pound batch would it take the same time in the bigger mixer?

Last edited:
B.S.O.;
It is difficult to compare mixing times in different size mizers. Some of the things that affect the mixing time are as follows:
Dough size V/S bowl capacity
Agitator speed (rpm)
Type of mixing agitator (dough hook). Straight “J” arm V/S a reverse spiral dough hook
The clearance between the bottom of the bowl and the bottom of the dough hook (this is adjustable)
Horse power of the motor

With all of that said, we normally expect to see dough mixing times in the 10 to 12-minute range for the 60 and 80-quart capacity mixers. Keep in mind that all mixers are not created equal. For example, with the 60-quart size, there is the light duty, H-600 series, and there is the heavy duty P-660. The same holds true for the 80-quart size mixers, there is the light duty, L-800 series, and there is the heavy duty M-802. They’re all good mixers, but the heavy duty flavors will mix a larger dough than their light duty cousins. If you would like to get a copy of my Dough Management Procedure, please e-mail me at [email protected] to request a copy.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
if you’re going to use a home mixer in a restuarant I would highly reccomend kitchen aid, they are the best. When it comes to restaurant equipment, the things they sell in the stores for your house won’t cut it. There is a reason restaurant equipment is so expensive, because it is made for use in a high volume restaurant.

Last edited:
I never said I was going to use a home mixer in a store so I don’t know what you are talking about. I just wanted to know if it would take around the same time in a small mixer for the home as it would for a bigger mixer like hobart. I’m not going to buy $10,000 mixer and put it in my kitchen. Maybe you can do that but I can’t, its a little tight for space.

Last edited:
I never said I was going to use a home mixer in a store so I don’t know what you are talking about. I just wanted to know if it would take around the same time in a small mixer for the home as it would for a bigger mixer like hobart. I’m not going to buy $10,000 mixer and put it in my kitchen. Maybe you can do that but I can’t, its a little tight for space.

Last edited:
As Tom said, there are many variables, but in general, yeah…it takes me about the same amount of time to mix 12 lbs of flour into dough as it did mixing two lbs with the KitchenAid.

Last edited:
Back