Continue to Site

Smart Snacks anyone making pizzas for the school

Dropped my last school contract after last school year ended. Haven’t been happier and will NEVER do one again.

Last edited:
We do a large account, right about 1000 pizzas a week. The food director has been good to us and has adjusted other parts of their menu to allow for the kids to still get pizza. I think he is running out of options with the sodium reduction mandates that are creeping up on us. I will be surprised if we still have the account next year.

Last edited:
…running out of options with the sodium reduction mandates…
There is a loophole (isn’t there always). When the sodium level for a reimbursable meal meets the sodium guidelines as a whole, the items that comprise that meal can be sold A la carte even if they individually don’t meet the A-la-carte sodium guidelines.
Flexibility for Entrees:
Schools may offer entrée items for sale as a la carte foods on the day they are served as part of the meal and the day after. These entrées would be exempt from the nutrition standards on those days in order to send a consistent nutritional message about school meals, as they already fit into a balanced and nutritionally sound meal, and represent a healthier choice for students who do not want the whole meal. This balanced approach mitigates potential confusion among parents, students and schools that a particular entrée item is healthful when sold as part of the reimbursable meal but not when the same entrée item is sold separately.
If they can construct a reimbursable meal with a slice of pizza that meets the requirements, they can sell as many slices individually as they want.

And if not: Part-skim Mozzarella gets a Fat Limit exemption. If they are willing to sell a smaller slice (like 14" pizza instead of 16", the calories can be kept under 350/slice and with a bare-minimum sodium in the dough (or maybe making a thin crust) you should be able to get under 480mgs. Make the dough with 51% whole-grain flour and you’ve checked everything off the list. http://www.smartsnacksinschool.com/smart-snacks-in-school-standards/

Last edited:
There is a loophole (isn’t there always). When the sodium level for a reimbursable meal meets the sodium guidelines as a whole, the items that comprise that meal can be sold A la carte even if they individually don’t meet the A-la-carte sodium guidelines.

If they can construct a reimbursable meal with a slice of pizza that meets the requirements, they can sell as many slices individually as they want.

And if not: Part-skim Mozzarella gets a Fat Limit exemption. If they are willing to sell a smaller slice (like 14" pizza instead of 16", the calories can be kept under 350/slice and with a bare-minimum sodium in the dough (or maybe making a thin crust) you should be able to get under 480mgs. Make the dough with 51% whole-grain flour and you’ve checked everything off the list. http://www.smartsnacksinschool.com/smart-snacks-in-school-standards/
Hopefully my food director guy has all that figured out.

Last edited:
Back