Continue to Site

Soggy dough at home...

darktowerasylum

Ok my friend hit me with a question that I couldnt 100% answer so I thought I would bring it to you. He is taking my dough recipe and trying it at home on his conventional oven. He’s using deep dish pan wish a light brushing of Extra Vi rgin olive oil on hte bottom, putting the dough in, letting it rise. Putting it in a 425 degree Conventional oven then taking it out after 5 minutes and putting on the toppings. Once it is all done cooking the bottom is slightly soggy not crispy at all like mine that I make. What can I tell him to do to get a better result?

I was thinking when he takes the dough out, taking the dough out of the pan and putting it directly on a pizza stone for a few minutes, then putting back in the pan to finish baking the toppings on the pizza. Any ideas to help him out with conventional ovens? I know he doesnt have the BTUs required but there has to be something.

Last edited:
His oven is pre-heated, right? How long is he taking it out to dress it?

Also, I can almost guarantee you that he’s using a shiny pan instead of a dark colored pan. In short, he’s reflecting the heat, not absorbing the heat.
If he put a stone in his oven and had it pre-heated for 20-30 mins and placed the pan on top of it, that should help too.

Lend him a pan.

Last edited:
He is using a dark pan, he is using one of my pans that I was lending him for the time being. I’m not sure how long he is taking the pizza out to dress it, but I know he has been taking it out after letting it bake the dough first so that it is not mushy, I had him cook the dough then take the dough out and flip it over and cook the other side too. Pizza was ok he said but a little tougher than he wanted. I had him put in a pizza stone in there too to see idf that would help even though it is a pan with no holes, it is a deep dish pan, as that is what I always cook. So any other ideas that doesnt invovle him cooking both sides of the pizza lol.

Was thinking to just have him put it back in after mostly done cooking and cook directly on the pizza stone

Last edited:
One thing you might notice is the pizza must be removed from the pan right away or it will cause the crust to go soft.

Last edited:
Also, keep in mind that pizzas are baked from the bottom up in a commercial pizza oven, be it a deck or air impingement. In a home oven, the pizza is not baked from the bottom up, but rather from all sides, as the oven is designed to bake. I bake deep-dish pizzas at home for my family and at pizza parties all the time and I never have a problem with a soft, soggy bottom. What’s my secret? I begin baking on a preheated pizza stone close to the bottom of the oven, then after about 12-minutes, I move the pizza to a higher rack in the oven, still keeping it on the stone. This provides the necessary top heat to bake the top of the pizza. When the top is done, the pizza is done, at least as well as can be expected for a home oven. I will typically bake these pizzas at 430F in a home oven. Baking time will run around 20 to 25-minutes.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
I’m using a couple of different “deep dish” dough recipes in my home oven with no problem. I roll out the ball, place it in a dark pan, sometimes I’ll let it rise for 30-45 minutes, other times not. I’ll put my cheese in, then will bake it on a rack, one down from “center”, no stone, for 6-7 minutes at 425.

I’ve got all my toppings laid out so dressing the pie won’t take maybe a minute at best, starting with meats, uncooked veggies, and a light saucing, maybe a tiny bit more cheese for looks. Then it’s back into the oven for 20-25 minutes.

I’m getting no sogging, and have a nice tight pie to serve btw, from the pan, I’m not taking it out and plating it before cutting or anything.

One of my go to recipes is Tom’s NY Thick & Thin dough, that one I will use a bit of shorting in the pan before the dough, my fav. recipe and the one that I think we’ll use when we get open uses quite a bit of butter in the dough already so no additional oiling is needed for the pan. Both come out with a good base on the crust that holds up to the amount of toppings we’re using quite nicely.

Last edited:
Ok I had him do the pizza stone on the bottom of the stove and then move it to the top rack and everything, He had to take it out early as the toppings and cheese were getting really brown. I’m thinking of having him only move it to the middle rack after cooking on the bottom rack for a about 13 minutes there. Also what do you guys think having him put some Aluminum foil on top of the pizza while it is on the bottom rack to keep some of the heat off of the toppings and cheese until moved to the middle rack?

Last edited:
deaconvolker:
I’m using a couple of different “deep dish” dough recipes in my home oven with no problem. I One of my go to recipes is Tom’s NY Thick & Thin dough, that one I will use a bit of shorting in the pan before the dough, my fav. recipe and the one that I think we’ll use when we get open uses quite a bit of butter in the dough already so no additional oiling is needed for the pan. Both come out with a good base on the crust that holds up to the amount of toppings we’re using quite nicely.
I don’t recall that Tom has both a NY Thick and NY Thin dough recipe per se, unless you are simply using two skin thicknesses. Do you perhaps mean Tom’s Thick and Thin Chicago style as given in the Recipe Bank at http://www.pmq.com/tt2/recipe/view/id_1 … zza-Crust/ ?

PN

Last edited:
Nope, it’s a recipe we were given at his NAPICS seminar…I’ve played with it a few times and like it so far. We’re a ways out from opening due to stalled negotiations so I’m using my lag time to play with my doughs and stuff. I don’t know if I should post it without his permission so I’ll wait to see if Tom chimes in with it.

Last edited:
I say when dealing with home ovens, you do whatever it takes to make a decent pizza. Give it a try. I’d suggest folding the corners of the foil sheet down to form supports to hold the foil up off of the toppings a little.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back