Continue to Site

Specials-Call In

aj453

I don’t really do any discounting of pizza. So when a customer calls in and asks what specials we have, I really don’t have much to say. Currently, what I say, and have my staff say “We dont have specials, but for you well throw in a free order of garlic knots” Anyone have any other better ideas?

Last edited:
absolutly have an idea, WE ALWAYS say that we have our best deals online, (customer checks surfs our site after they login of course with there email address (which we now can reverse market for such a low cost) and we now know these are our coupon shoppers, people who only order when there is a special, so we do bundles, more of putting it around a dotted line than discounting…

Last edited:
Instead of telling the customer you don’t offer specials why not offer 2 or 3 specials each night.
If your large 1 topping pizza is $12 and your garlic knots are $3.99 you could offer a Large 1 topping with an order of garlic knots for $14.99. Only a $1 discount, Better than throwing them in for free.

You could also offer 2 large 1 topping pizzas for only $22.99. Again only a $1 discount.

You could also bundle a large pizza with wings and a 2liter. Just discount $1 or $2 and the customer feels special. In the process, you sell bigger tickets making more profit on each order.

If you really can’t get past not discounting, just bundle 2 or three items together at full price and offer it as your “special”.

Last edited:
We will be rotating through some limited time only menu items that will be ‘specials’. Right now, we tell our customers that we have all of our “signature” pizzas discounted every night. We already have pretty low pricing, so we don’t get into discounting for specials, either.

We do bundle stuff or have occasional new dessert items that are ‘specials’ until they are gone. That sort of thing.

Last edited:
We have one special that we change out every month or so. They are not advertised and only offered for such people as you describe. It is always bundled or rather some sort of “family deal” as we do not get into just plain discounting.

We also let them know that they can fill out a card to receive emails and mailings for other regular promotions that we do.

I’ve found that if you do not have a “special” most will just hang up and call the next place. Oddly enough, even if they do not take the special they will still order something. Before we added the unadvertised monthly specials people just hung up most of the time.

Last edited:
For better or worse, the customers have been conditioned by the Big 3 to ask for tonights specials whenever they call. Though you may not want to be a heavy discounter and compete with them, you should take every opportunity to have to maximize you sales. Pizza is unique among other products you can sell, because the customer is conditioned to have to speak to a live person to make a purchase. You can go to Walmart and purchase anything without talking to a soul, but you can’t buy a simple cheese pizza from a pizzeria without talking to your phone person. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS FACT!

Last edited:
For better or worse, the customers have been conditioned by the Big 3 to ask for tonights specials whenever they call. Though you may not want to be a heavy discounter and compete with them, you should take every opportunity to have to maximize you sales. Pizza is unique among other products you can sell, because the customer is conditioned to have to speak to a live person to make a purchase. You can go to Walmart and purchase anything without talking to a soul, but you can’t buy a simple cheese pizza from a pizzeria without talking to your phone person (unless they order online). TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS FACT!

I am the first to acknowledge that you don’t want to devalue your primary product by offering your single pizza at a lower price. (in fact, you have already established the fact that garlic knots have so little value to you that you will give them away for free, just for asking!) However, when you bundle pizza and other items together at a slightly reduced priced, you are not devaluing any single item, and are giving your phone person an easy opportunity to upsell. Find a high profit item, like garlic knots, or breadsticks, and offer the combo at $1 or $2 off. Or offer a couple bucks off when they buy 2 pizzas. Especially 2 x 2 topping pizzas…then you are probably only giving away a topping! Or, at least go the way Nick suggests…have a limited time item, with a blind retail (the regular retail has not been established).

They key is, quite often, your special will not fit the customers exact needs. They just wanted to see if you had one that did. So they will order their intended order at full price, and everyone is happy.

Try to go with the flow, my friend. People want to buy from you…make it easy for them.

Last edited:
We tell our customers everything is special! The customer usually chuckles and then we ask what the are in the mood for. We sell personal size pies so we offer a special on the second pie so they can try something new.

Last edited:
Back