Continue to Site

spiral or j hook

I believe you’ll only see a spiral on a spiral mixer…

I’ve used/owned a small spiral mixer, that many would considet cheap & a less than stellar mixer (Impasti) but really loved it & it made great dough…but was unable to make sause or grate cheese, and a pain in the a$$ to clean…I believe newer ones have removable bowls an such, but can be pricey, but less than a Hobart…

I also used/owned 60 qt Hobarts, and they are workhorses…I’m not sure if I can really tell a differenced in the finished product between a J hook and the regular hook, due in part to a short mix tie, but on an old 20 qt used for cinnamon rolls, I think the dough benefited from the J hook…

Last edited:
Rockstar;
There is a very significant difference between a “J” hook and a reverse spiral dough mixing arm. To tell the two apart the “J” hook looks exactly as its name implies while the reverse spiral dough mixing arm has a pronounces twist at the bottom of the hook. This twist forces the dough back down into the bowl during mixing for improved mixing action while the “J” hook allows the dough to climb up the hook where it must be periodically cut of during the dough mixing stage. This gets to be a real pain in short order plus it results in longer mixing times and more inconsistent finished doughs. Reverse spiral dough mixing arms are available for all of the popular sized Hobart planetary mixers, even the little K5-A comes with a reverse spiral dough mixing arm.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back