Continue to Site

Spoodles

wa_dave

I read some time ago about using spoodles (cross between spoon and laddle) for spreading the base sauce.

I just did it the way the previous owner did and showed me - using a big serving spoon. The problem was that it took too long to cover the sauce across the base and it was an uneven spread.

Today I was in a hospitality supply outlet and I inquired about spoodles. They didn’t have any but could get them in at AU$22 plus 10% Goods & Services Tax (GST).

I had to visit another supplier just after and I inquired there as well and they had a huge clearance bin of various sizes for AU$12 + GST. I got a 6oz one.

We used it tonight for the first time and now I am kicking myself for not getting one earlier. It is so quick and gives such a consistent and even spread. I think it would be 10 - 20 seconds quicker for each base we spread. On a busy night spreading 150 + bases this would save anywhere between 35 - 50 minutes in labour time.

The reason I brought this up is because without reading this forum I would never had heard of the spoodle and we would have just kept stumbling along. (Same about many other things I have learnt from this forum).

Thought I’d just share this with you and thank you for your comments, sharing of ideas etc.

Dave

Last edited:
60.png
td_VP192:
Viva La Spoodle ! :shock:
I’ve even found out that there are two general designs of these things!! We use the generally more flat bottom to get the good spread. I bought some additional ones when our main one broke, and the bottom of the “bowl” is more rounded at the edge. It’s a little harder to use, so I’m looking for our original style to stock up. We use the 8 ounce size as it is just perfect for the 16" pie measure. We’d probably use one for each size pizza if we were smart enough . . . then one scoop of sauce is all you need.

Last edited:
60.png
NicksPizza:
60.png
td_VP192:
Viva La Spoodle ! :shock:
We’d probably use one for each size pizza if we were smart enough . . . then one scoop of sauce is all you need.
Yeah I’d probably do the same Nick but then it would be too much of a choice for the staff and it would probably confuse them :lol:. Plus it’s just one more thing for them to break or lose.

I think that mine might be an 8oz as well as just under a full spoon (about 80% full) does our 15" Family size.

Ours is slightly rounded on the bottom edges but in the most is fairly flat.

Dave

Last edited:
Back