Continue to Site

Square shaped pizza?

ryank

I know nearly everybody serves round pizzas, but can any make me aware of problems or issues serving square or slightly rectangle pizzas? It seems a more efficient size to fit in the oven. The style of pizza would be a thin crust, with little lip.

Last edited:
I use square for my large size and round for my medium. I get to use the same box, since A x A is 27% larger than A diameter. I’ve not had any problems or special requirements to keep in mind with mine.

Last edited:
We have served square pizza for 51 years. The only problem I know of is that the pans are more costly. If you want a certain size you will probably pay more because the industry is set up for round.

Last edited:
There is place in California (Oceanside?) called Square Pan Pizza, and let’s not forget Little Cesar’s Pizza, so indeed, square pizza has been around in modern form for quite a long time, and even longer in traditional form pizzas. The only thing you will need to watch for is burning the corners. If you look around, you can find square cake pans for your smaller sizes, buy them used to save $$$$. For new pans, go to either Lloyd Pans <www.lloydpans.com> or American Metalcraft <www.amnow.com>.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
My large is a square and I’ve always said that if I could go back in time I would change them to round. Takes just a smidge longer to make a square and i’m not sure if it is worth it.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, we’re seeing more operators beginning to look at making not-traditionally shaped pizzas, especially thin crust, that are not round, but instead, irregularly shaped or some times even rectangular shaped, the reasoning? Just to be a little different.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back