Continue to Site

start up in industrial district

40degreesnth

Hi all,

I’m new and considering opening a pizzeria in an industrial district. The area is massive with thousands of workers and truckers. Its under served with a subway, quiznos (open 9-5pm) and 2 delis (open 7-2pm) located with in the complex. Just outside is another sub shop, mexican fast food and a chinese restaurant. Average tickets seem to be around $6 -9 per person at the delis/subs. I have yet to sit and count customers but will do so soon. I was hanging around the delis and sub shops yesterday at 2pm and there were still people in line waiting for food.

Rent is cheap, $4 -6 per square foot (closer to the city is $12-25 per sq foot).

We are looking at opening 11am-6pm (ish) serving slices, whole pies, heros, salads and soups. Delivery to the offices, etc and take n bakes. If need be we’ll expand our hours and food selection to cover more catering options.

So my first thought was, wow, why hasn’t anyone tapped this market yet? Then my second thought was, wait, is this too good to be true?
Do any of you have any experience in operating in large industrial districts? What am I not seeing? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Just a thought… BREAKFAST PIZZA! You have just doubled your sale opportunities! :mrgreen:

I agree that breakfast and lunch could be good business; however; there is a catch. For many in this business, lunch pays the rent and dinner is where you make some money.

Large chains don’t need to make a lot of money because salaries are low. A little profit X a lot stores = a lot of profit. As an independent, you might want to make more than minimum wage. :mrgreen:

None of us have a complete understanding of the area you’re in, though.

Last edited:
PG makes a point but growing up in Elk Grove Village, IL… the worlds largest industial park… literally… Property taxes almost do not exist it is that supported by industrial shops… there are I bet… 100 restaurants that cater too 4am to 2pm crowds only. My mother was a district mgr for Cryovac back in the day and they used to have 2-3 dozen mobile units stop by a day with every type of food under the sun. I think with the right setup and hours you could make it on breakfast and lunch sales only. From what I witnessed the places did great sales at those hours but thanks to the multi-hour commute home…they closed after lunch…not a lot of dinner traffic or take out because of the time to get home. People would pick up near the house. It also depends on the hours that the industrial park works… today this same park is 24/7 at probably half the operations. Not too mention Elk Grove is where O’hare is located and all the support industry for the airport is in this same area. I would say safely that having 100 shops 25 years ago…today there are 500+ in the same 10 sq miles. You now see a lot of 24hr places that have a constant flow at any hour. Hussle and bussle baby! :arrow:

Also dont underestimate the power of three shifts worth of happy hour if you can get a liquor license. My dad operates a cafe in an industrial district and added booze last year. Its been a great shot in the arm for them…

Last edited:
Thanks Gang! I will definitely consider breakfast and the liquor license. Keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy and lucrative opening.

Last edited:
You might want to think about running trucks(cars) with pizzas for sale at break periods and lunch periods to various companies. Be sure to alternate the business(once a week, every 3 days, etc.).
I did this with a store in Seattle in the SODO district. Store is still there, 10+ years ago from Grand Opening. We did $1M plus selling $5 - 11" pizzas(pepperoni, sausage, cheese or vegi). Sold them to drivers at $3.50 and the profit was theirs.

Call or email me for more information.

Marcus Bramhall
[email protected]

Last edited:
Back