Continue to Site

Suggestions On Adding A 23" Pie

knightwing1995

I am in a college town and was thinking about adding a 23" pie that I would market mainly towards the college students for their dorm parties,late nite keggers and things like that. I just wanted to see what everyone’s advice would be on that…

Last edited:
I’d advise you NOT do it. If you want to go after that crowd, just offer a Party Pack of 3 pizzas, some bread sticks and some cokes for XX.XX and market the the hell out of it. Make it an awesome deal and they will come. Handling a pizza that big is nothing but a pain in the butt and in my opinion the novelty isn’t worth it. I don’t think you will generate additional sales by having a 23 inch pizza vs serving 3 14" pizza at a similar price point.

Last edited:
I have a 24", that I market primarily for catering parties. While its a nice novelty, is very difficult to handle, especially during the rush. In fact, it can be very scary for a new pizza maker to deal with. We also get people asking to split it into 4 different toppings, which can also be a pain. I’m not saying don’t go with your idea. My message is a 23" pizza comes with its own set of issues, besides just being a really big pizza, so if your guys can handle it, more power to ya!

Last edited:
We also have a 24" pizza in our shop.

Couple things i should mention. First, i have noticed that even though the platter is on the wall with the rest of the sizes, people dont realize just how big that monster is until its cooked and sitting in front of them. Also, that one 24" pizza takes the place of 6 14" pizzas in our oven. we even have to take the stops off the end of the conveyor so that it can bake completely and evenly whenever we cook it. If you have dine-in service and small waitresses, chances are that they will be too scared to carry it to a table for fear of dropping it (some of mine are). Also, we do ours dine-in and carryout only. It is too big for us to deliver. We havent invested in the delivery bags big enough to carry them as we dont really sell enough of them to make it worth the expense.

However, for a positive aspect, one of our franchises started the whole 24" pizza thing with our chain. He has made a challenge for it, which helps him push it. The rules go a little something like this… 1 entire pizza, 1 person, 1 hour. If you can eat the entire thing, crusts and all, in one hour without urping, then he will give you $100, the pizza free, and $5 for each failed attempt since the last successful attempt. Manager picks the seat, no one else can even touch the pizza, or you are disqualified. You cannot leave the room, although you can get up and move around near your seat if you wish. This can create a lot of hype around your college when you get someone to win it. I cant say for sure, but i believe he shelled out over $500 to a person once that had won it.

Just my thoughts…

Last edited:
We a have a 24" pizza also…

While they can be a bit difficult to handle it has REALLY been worth it. We sell a ton of them. I am also near a campus here in Chicago. It has been a GREAT seller and we are known for the place that has the really big pizzas. Also they are big on Sundays during football season, birthday parties, catering ect. They are hard to make and handle but well worth it .

Good luck,

Last edited:
By all means - add it. I opened my store 18 months ago and wanted to have something different, something unique from ALL the other pizza shops in the area. What i came up with was a 24" round pizza…the largest in a 30 mile radius of our store. Since the day we opened, only one size pizza (the 14") has outsold the 24".
We’ve had the “2-man challenge” and other gimmick eating contests to promote it and it has went over very well. Birthday parties, feed the team, business meetings etc…
We even get people driving to our place from out of the area because they heard it’s a monster pizza and want to “try” to eat it.
By the way…we are 3 1/2 miles from 2 seperate universities and this is a huge hit with college kids.

Star Pizza Box makes a 28" box. LLoyd Pans makes a 30" Hearth Baked disk. I am getting a crazy idea in my head…

Last edited:
Back