Continue to Site

Switching away from screens???

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

Currently using screens and tossing to order (with aid of a single pass sheeter) a la dominos or papajohns. Notice that most of my competition uses pans & it seems like it would be much easier to keep up on the rush if I switched to pans and dough stretched sauced & cheese in advance. Anyone make this switch? Is it hard to convert?

a “pan” pizza will have different “characteristics” than your current pie…

I’d learn to get away from using the sheeter (I used one for yrs) and hand-toss entirely…

you can “stage” skins on racks…I use a metal cabinet that holds 30 + I use several “standing” racks for crunch times…

the one in the box last for hours, while the ones on the rack last for 30 minutes or so…

don’t sauce/cheese ahead of time…

I’m partial to the metal disks vrs screens - cook better & maint. free

Last edited:
Why would you think it would be faster to use a pan rather than a screen? Other than the cooking differences, the process is the same.

Agree, you should pre-skin according to business. Just keep ahead of the game, especially if you add water to your sauce. Over time the water will saturate the dough not allowing it to bake well. Make enough so your toppers are not waiting for skins during busy times.

Never used a holding cabinet, but leaving unsauced/cheesed skins out in the open dries out the dough pretty quick in my experience. Store conditions will vary . . .

Last edited:
Back