Taking inventory

wjcraig2003

We take inventory every week so we can make the proper food order. One of my managers just asked me why i don’t take inventory every day. How often do you take inventory?

Last edited:
Depends on your school of thought really. I am from the camp of, Some items Daily, Some Items Monthly, and some we never count.

For a pizza place, if your not counting your cheese and dough daily. You are probably loosing out on over used items or free stuff walking out the door. But if you only count it once a week and your numbers are good. All the power to you.

Last edited:
Cheese = Daily
95% or so, of everything else = weekly
5% or so = not at all. Cost of misc supplies and little used items are built into our box cost. Currently that cost is .08 per box. Covers the cost of napkins, paper towels, dusting flour and such.

Last edited:
Most things weekly. Cheese daily when the usage starts to wander from goal. We do not count things like napkins, parm, red pepper, to-go boxes cleaning supplies… instead we just expense those in the period when they are delivered.

We DO count pizza boxes. It is just the salad boxes and app containers and souffle cups that do not count.

Last edited:
OK… now before anyone get’s there panties in a bunch about me promoting my software business to this forum member… Remember, I also own pizza restaurants and am as legit a contributor as anyone on the PMQ forum, offering advice on many subjects, This subject just happens to be what I know more than just about anyone, about which Linda Green can verify for you… My company www.CherryPickPrices.com is ideal for this situation… I created a really cool inventory system I call good enough inventory… I call it this because it is fast, easy and good enough for almost any pizzeria… You can do a weekly total inventory with my software in under an hour very easily, once you are set up and organized… I also offer a cool Hot Inventory feature for counting daily, frequent use items, Dairy, Wings, Chicken, Pepperoni, Bacon and a few more are examples of items my employees count every night for me with the Hot Inventory… The benefit also is the price comparison and ordering features… You can use your inventory count and Cherry’s cool Par level system and Cherry will produce your ideal food order and compare every item in the order against each of your price lists from your suppliers… Please let me know if anyone would like a demo… Dave

Last edited:
Back