Continue to Site

The Chicken Industry is in Turmoil and We'll be Paying

mandyspizza

Has anyone else noticed the quality of their fresh wings detoriating over the last 7 months? Here’s the latest because today after being so fed up I made some calls on research.

I have for the last 11+ years ONLY ordered “roaster” jumbo whole wings 3-part. By spec these should weigh 4.5 - 6oz Todays wings…received Tuesday…as small as 1oz and no larger than 3oz SAME PRODUCT CODE…SO THIS IS WHAT SET ME OFF.

Did you know that Townsend closed up about a month ago because they could not make a profit with the price of feed exceeding the cost to produce the chicken?

Did you know that Tyson AND Purdue are in the same boat?

Recently another major chicken company sold out to a Chinese investment company and is now sending their chicken exclusively to China!!!

A chicken use to take 6 weeks from hatch to slaughter…they industry JUST SENT OUT THE MESSAGE THAT THE CHICKEN SETS ARE TO NOW GO TO THREE MONTHS IN AN EFFORT TO DRIVE UP THE MARKET SO THAT COSTS REMAIN THE SAME BUT WE WILL START SEEING THE LARGEST COST INCREASE AND THE LOWEST QUALITY PRODUCT IN DECADES!!!

Our Local Supplier ordered approximately 300 cases of chicken for Monday delivery…THEY ONLY RECIEVED A LITTLE OVER 100 BECAUSE THERE’S NO MORE CHICKEN.

Those of you past the midwest are going to be suffering even more since the majority of the chicken is East Coast chicken and the cost to rail car it is going up and up.

I was once known to have the largest chicken wings in town…now KFC does since they pre-buy the majority and are guaranteed the majority of the chicken.

Now let’s talk quality…remember there are only 3 or 4 processors in the U.S. now and “It’s not just my region or supplier having these problems.”

My wings are to be 3-part whole 5oz average is what I should get – In once case alone today:
  • average weight 2oz
  • percentage that were what I call “bastards” these are the pieces that are junk with no meat…or disconnected 23%
  • percentage of wings under 2oz 32%
Start watching your chicken prices and for those who think this is the same thing that happens every football season…do some research and you’ll see this is not the case and if your sales rep says that it is…they are either lying or just not educated.

I have spent the last 2 hours on the phone with manufacturer reps and if there’s only 3 or 4 processors…I spoke to the majority.

This problem of short-shipping trucks has been going on for the past several months and today there are those in my area who may not even receive wings. I called two other purveyors who say…they have no extras and what little they do have is backup for their current customers.\

This is the type of info I wish I would see here so that we ALL can survive this dangerous economy…our families depend on our success. Our customers depend on our quality when eating out is a luxury for everyone now.

Last edited:
48.png
mandyspizza:
Did you know that Townsend closed up about a month ago because they could not make a profit with the price of feed exceeding the cost to produce the chicken?
“He just decided to shut it down and take his losses and go on,” said David Purtle, a former Tyson Foods executive who was hired to be Omtron’s CEO. “He just didn’t like the environment in this country and the lack of discipline that the poultry industry had.”
The U.S. poultry industry has been resisting calls to reduce production levels, something that many believe is necessary in order to put it on firmer financial footing.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/0 … z1WiCzTP6t

Observers think the industry should raise fewer chickens to drive up prices? Sounds more like a supply-chain issue with some vendors than a national shortage.
48.png
mandyspizza:
Recently another major chicken company sold out to a Chinese investment company and is now sending their chicken exclusively to China!!!
Which company? My google-fu must be weak as I couldn’t find any information in my searches.

Last edited:
I am struggling to get a good wing right now for a realistic price. As far as other chicken parts, they are still dirt cheap and I wouldn’t feel any pressure until after they doubled in price, based on what I’m able to charge for it.

Last edited:
First, thanks for making me glad I’m not in the middle of this anymore.

Second, I am not hearing crisis language hear in GA yet, so Southeast may be in better shape. GA is a $2 billion a year chicken industry, so I will keep an ear/eye out for news in our neighborhood.

Last edited:
WE use a fully cooked breaded chicken from restaurant depot, so far so good over last year, 35 dollars 15 lb

Last edited:
Back