Continue to Site

To do it over again???

pizzatime

For those that are seasoned in the pizza business, if you could start back at when you started, what would you do different???

Last edited:
Two things:
  1. I’d open the shop myself and not buy into a franchise.
  2. Find a better location.

Last edited:
I would have finished college and worked in the corporate world. 11 years later, I’m going back to school so I may sometime work a real schedule.

Last edited:
Would have been far more aggressive in building/growing the business. We went with a slower and steadier pace that was sustainable, but we could have been more assertive with it and still sustained. When we started this thing wife and I both had full-time jobs in Atlanta . . . a 75 to 90 minute commute each way.

OH!!! And I would have subscribed to PMQ and the Think Tank earlier. I don’t know exactly how that would have happened since we joined as soon as we heard about each of them . . . .

Last edited:
I would have done more research on the effects of various location pluses and minuses…definitely would have gone free standing with parking.

Last edited:
I would move to a 3rd world country(Belize or Costa Rica), a tourist destination, and sell pizza’s to the Tourists at American Prices.

Last edited:
bought a piece of property and built a pizza shop in the town where I am now doing it out of a trailer…
the catch is that I would not known how to have built it then,
…and, if that is the way it could be, good chance I would go back to my first choice…
I think we would all do something different, if anything out of the curiosity
…I am fairly happy the way I did it and the way it is now.
the great thing, today is a new way, we can do it a new way…
Otis

GREAT POST, PIZZATIME, ESPECIALLY FOR THE PEOPLE JUST GETTING STARTED…IF ONLY THEY WILL TAKE HEED…

1st: Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

2nd: Cross train every staff member imediately they are out of their initial learning. Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

3rd: Do a more thorough inspection on EVERY item when buying the shop so I didn’t pay “Fool’s Tax”. Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

4th: Have a set up that didn’t do / wasn’t reliant on deliveries so I wouldn’t have the constant headache trying to hire drivers. Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

5th: Be more pro-active in increasing prices. Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

6th: Look for sites ssuch as PMQ Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

7th: Be a tougher bastard Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

8th: Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

9th: Stop repeating myself about… Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

Dave

Last edited:
  1. Get a pos earlier
  2. Added more phone lines
  3. stop being nice to people that take advantage of everything they can
  4. try to stop getting mad everytime someone can’t do a basic task.
  5. go back to school and work 9-5 like the rest of the world.

Last edited:
wa dave:
1st: Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

2nd: Cross train every staff member imediately they are out of their initial learning. Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

3rd: Do a more thorough inspection on EVERY item when buying the shop so I didn’t pay “Fool’s Tax”. Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

4th: Have a set up that didn’t do / wasn’t reliant on deliveries so I wouldn’t have the constant headache trying to hire drivers. Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

5th: Be more pro-active in increasing prices. Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

6th: Look for sites ssuch as PMQ Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

7th: Be a tougher bastard Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

8th: Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

9th: Stop repeating myself about… Ensure I didn’t hire a pyschological wimp drunk prima dona wuss (not blaringly obvious) as a manager.

Dave
LEADERSHIP STARTS AT THE TOP!!!

Last edited:
hmmmmmmmmmmmm,
do everything they said and save my $$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!
Because everything every1 said up there Ive done 😦 😦 😦

Last edited:
Having gone away for 10+ years and did the corporate 9-5 gig. I would trade those years back in a heartbeat to be back in the pizza/restaurant business.

1)I would not have been the victim of working for some bonehead with that college degree, but absolutely no business knowledge for a boss.

2)I would not have had to come home and tell my wife “the company was just sold…if we want to move to South Dakota, I may have a job”.

3)I would not have to wonder if we are going to get a new contract that may keep my job for a few more years, or lose the contract and be looking for that next 9-5 job.

4)I would not have listened to all of the nay-sayers and followed the path that I have wanted all along.

With that said…the business plan is being written…watch out I have 10 years of penned up pizza making, restaurant managing, long hours working, short staffed, in the weeds work to make up for!

Mikey

DO OVER…
Thats half the fun…
I learn so much each day about myself and about human nature.
If I could I would maybe look for a better spot… But my spot has given me the forced opportunity to develope a concept that turns out pretty good numbers. how much easier will number 2 - 50 be… I have a buddy that had his first store do amazing numbers… 1.5 mil in his first year and each year after. however his second store only does about 800 a day… not that it is bad but his systems will not allow for profit at these numbers. now he is going back and reinventing himself as a business.
I love were I am at… Today.
Check with me tommorow.

Last edited:
good to see that we would have all done something differently about out pizza business, and not go into something else…
looks like we like it in spite of…
I’m closed today, hoorah :lol:

Otis

1. Leave my brother-in-law out of the equation
  2. LISTEN to and DO all of the recommendations of the industry experts sooner!

Last edited:
I wish I would have went with the more expensive and better contractor!!! I would have been open 6 months ago and made the difference and then some back already!!! My place is 12,000 square feet and has been under construction since September 2006! It looks to me like there is still at least 45 days to go, but it will take him more like 120 with my luck! LOL!

Last edited:
Some great and entertaining advice on these threads.

Being that j_rokk paid us a visit today, I would say I would of stuck with one location instead of opening multiple locations.

Last edited:
Back