to the dough Dr

trainer4you2

I would like to try to make a sourdough pizza. I have the bacteria for San Francisco sourdough. I have two packets that are the size of small packet of instand yeast. How do I use these packets to get about 10 lbs of dough to experiment with. And if I like I would like to make 20 or 30 lb batches of dough at a time. Also what flour should I use, hi gluten, or all purpose.
Thank you, Kel

Last edited:
Kel;
There should be some directions provided with the starter packets you have. If not, I would suggest that you purchase a copy of the AIB Technical Bulletin dated March, 2000 titled Sourdough Starters and Breads. This will give you the complete procedure for starting and culturing a sour. You can get a copy by contacting Jim Lynn at 800-633-5137 (ext. 167) and requesting the March 2000 Technical Bulletin. The cost is $20.00 and it can be electronically sent to you.
I would recommend using a strong flour with at least 13% protein content.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Thank you for the help, yes it does have directions on how to start it. What I am not sure of is how much do I need if I want to make a 10 or 20 lb batch of dough. Do I need 25% to be starter? So if I am mixing to get a 20 lb batch, do I need 5 lbs of starter and how do I get a 5lb batch of starter. The packet I have only makes a few loafs of bread.

Thanks, Kel

Back