Continue to Site

Tom: Got a recipe for "butt rolls"?

snowman

Okay, it’s my name for them. They’re the dinner rolls where you put two small dough balls into the muffin tin, they expand and the top has a line down the middle where the two halves have joined together. These are the type of rolls served at Lambert’s Cafe, if you’ve ever been lucky enough to stop at one. I’m trying to find a good recipe for this type of roll.

And yep, I knew y’all couldn’t resist knowing what a “butt roll” was 🙂

Last edited:
I just use my pizza dough scraps however I put 3 dough balls in and call them clover rolls.

Last edited:
Richard (Daddio) has the correct name for them, “butt” they’re also known as pull-apart rolls too. Here is a dough formula that really works well, but as Richard said, your regular pizza dough will work well too, I just like to roll the dough balls in a little melted butter before I place them into the muffin cups (without the paper liners).
Here is the dough formula:
Flour (your regular pizza flour) 100%
Salt: 1.75%
Sugar: 12%
Butter: 4%
IDY: 2%
Water: (60F) 56%

Mix the dough until smooth and satiny, look for a finished dough temperature of 75 to 80F. Immediately take the dough to the bench and divide into 1-ounce pieces, and ball. Place dough balls into greased muffin cups and set aside to proof/rise in a draft free area (a covered rack works well). The rolls should proof for about 45-minutes, or until the dough rised about 1/2 inch above the top edge of the cups. Take to the oven to bake at 450F in a deck oven. If you’re using an air impinger, you may need to reduce the heat to 375F and bake just until the dough is lightly browned. Brush with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven. A good variation is to sprinkle on a little grated Parmesan cheese just before you put them into the oven.
Enjoy!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
One thing I’ve noticed, when turning my pizza dough into garlic knots or whatever…the taste improves dramatically when I floor proof them for a long time…I don’t use a real proofer, but an enclosed metal box/carrier…the taste is night & day…

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I found a copycat recipe online and it uses milk. I tried it and I’m glad I did! I never could “taste” the milk in dough before, but now have an appreciation for the flavor it adds. I couldn’t have picked the taste out before, but somehow, just making the dough and knowing what was in it made me able to isolate the taste.

I had assumed a pizza dough recipe wouldn’t grow enough. Now I’ve got more playing to do. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Snowman;
If the dough recipe/formula calls for liquid milk, as many do, just be sure to “scald” the milk before you use it in the dough. Failure to do this can result in either a softer than expected dough, or dough that is easy to work with one time and soft to tacky another time. This is due to certain proteins present in the milk that are denatured when the milk is scalded. This is why many old cook books call for scalding the milk before using it to bake bread. By the way, the butter in my dough formula serves the same function as the milk, but without the need to scald anything.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom!

The recipe I’d used called for butter as well. I haven’t worked out the bakers percents though. But since we’re talking about milk vs butter… if butter is only cream that has been beaten senseless, why doesn’t butter taste exactly like cream? In theory, we’ve changed the texture, but not the chemical composition.

Last edited:
Also, Tom, on the dough recipe above, is the butter melted, room temp but solid, or cold solid?

Last edited:
Snowman;
I like to use it softened, or at /near room temperature. I feel if it is soft enough to push a finger into, it is soft enough to use. I seldom ever melt the butter.

Last edited:
Back