Continue to Site

Top Round Roast

daisy1

Due to the HIGH rising cost of our shaved ribeye we use for our steak & onion subs & pizzas $5.80 #lb I am looking to possibly switching to a top round roast, cooking & shaving it myself. I saw on some show about using the roast for this, BUT Im looking for a GOOD spice rub mixture for it. Any suggestions ???

Last edited:
You may not be too pleased with the flavor or texture of the round roasts compared to ribeye.
If I was doing this, I would start with a denuded inside round, inject it with a liquid containing seasonings and phosphates to hold moisture. look here >>( http://www.butcherbbq.com/ )
And I would roast it in a very high moisture environment such as an Alto-Shaam to try to get the highest yield out of it.
You may not see any savings when you factor in the added cost of labor and less than 100% yields.
Edited to add;
Check to see if you can get Italian Beef made by Devanco in Chicago, spectacular stuff IMO, the price is right, and it is really really good.

Last edited:
Why don’t you just buy shaved loin tail? We pay ~$3.50 right now. I tried using top round roast but everyone including myself thought it was too “roast beef tasting” to play around with

Last edited:
Back