Continue to Site

trouble w/seating

First i want to thank everyone on this site for all the help.my question is were at the seating point of choosing tables looking at solid beech,mahogany,square tops size(36"x36") cant seem to find how many sq ft are taken up with the chairs .meaning the table is 9sqft so how much is added w/the chair? we dont want to have people hitting each other when they get up.the area for the pizza side is about 400sqft of space for tables and booths there are 4- 48" booths.and if solid wood is good to use ? thanks

Last edited:
Given a 36 X 36 table add 24 in on each side for an occupied chair then add 12 in for the chair to be pushed back for entry and exit. That gives you a space requirement of 9 ft x 9 ft for each table. A bit more for fancy dining. A bit less for casual.

Send me a sketch of your place with demensions and we will use our cad system to do a table lay out for you. Fax 734-458-8860

George Mills

Last edited:
You might also want to check with your health inspector and/or building inspector…Sometimes local codes and rules outline the space requirement per seat…

Last edited:
big joe pizza 726:
First i want to thank everyone on this site for all the help.my question is were at the seating point of choosing tables looking at solid beech,mahogany,square tops size(36"x36")
Here are a couple of options for tables. First, you can buy ugly crap tables and put a vinyl topper on them that is stapled on the bottom. A paper covering like Macaroni Grill uses would certainly work. If you’re insistant upon nice table tops, check with your local high school for a woodworking class. Ask the teacher what they would charge to make the tables (normally just the cost of materials) and you’d have to supply the bases or add them yourself later. There will probably be some imperfect tables and maybe even some extra scrap. However, think of the goodwill as the students bring the parents to your shop to see their handywork. If you’re going casual, perhaps the student could personalize the table with their initials (though that certainly puts a damper on having such nice tables). Also, any graffiti on the table would probably invite others to do the same. Perhaps a nice brass nameplate on each one (on one of the sides) would give the student credit for the table and not make the table appear “open to carve on”. Unfortunately, these local-made tables could cost more than the ones from the shops due to economy of scale and purchasing power and such.

To ME, the absolute most important part of any table is that the blasted thing be leveled so that there’s no wobble. It can be tilted at 90 degrees but don’t make the sucker wobble :).

Last edited:
Back