Continue to Site

Types of wood for ovens

George_Mills

Hi Guys:
I had a caller ask about what type wood to use in a wood fired oven.
I happened to have a list from the internet and thought perhaps others would be interested.

Apple – Excellent, fruity aroma and great for cooking just about anything. Has a light, smokey flavor. great for any wood pizza oven!
Pear – Another excellent fruitwood similar to apple. Great for any brick pizza oven
Hickory – Revered by “smokers”. Who doesn’t love the traditional taste of a tender ham smoked with some good old-fashioned Hickory? Excellent in wood fired ovens as well!
Mesquite – A very popular cooking wood Mesquite burns hot and gives food a slightly sweet flavor.
Maple – An all around good, aromatic wood which adds a sweet flavor to foods. Great for cooking pork!
Oak – When seasoned Oak has one of the longest burning times, burns clean and has a great aroma. It also enhances your foods flavor.
Pecan – Another wood widely used for smoking foods Pecan adds a wonderful, mildly sweet flavor to foods. Does not burn very hot.
Walnut – Very strong, smokey flavor. For those who love smoked meat!
Chestnut – Not much heat output and tends to spark a lot.
Cherry – Burns well and has a nice aroma.

George Mills

Last edited:
Thanks George…I have an “el cheapo” smoker and have 6 or so types of chips on hand depending on my mood and what kind of meat I am smoking…

Last edited:
Back