Continue to Site

using coupons on my menu

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum but i want to thank you all for the ideas you are sharing here. Many of them were very helpful to me.
I am working with “my pizza promo” on my menu but i dont know what coupons i should put in there. Can any of you tell what worked best for their pizza place. We are a pizzeria but also very known for good subs,salads and dinners. We do deliveries also.
Pls let me know.
Thnx
Buccini’s

I’d like to recommend that you NOT put coupons on your menu. Send them out in the mail, doorhang them, put them on boxtoppers, etc. But your menu should be your menu.

I think that IF you decide to put coupons on your menu, they have to be coupons that increase sales. In other words, a coupon for 2 pizzas, or a coupon for a pizza & wings combo.

You want your coupons to increase sales. Someone already looking at the menu has pretty much decided to buy something. If you let them use a coupon, it should be to encourage them to buy more.

Specifically, it’s difficult to suggest a coupon without knowing your menu, pricing, etc.

Last edited:
In our menu, we advertised our daily specials.

We have 2 Large 1-Topping Pizzas for $16.99
Large 1-Topping and Wings $15.99
Large 1-Topping, Any Panini Sub, breadsticks and a 2-Liter $19.99

It gives the menu reader something to work with. Coupons should be used for two things. Getting new customers with deep discounts and retaining customers with value-added discounts.

If someone is reading your menu, chances are they plan to order from you.

Last edited:
I disagree if your just starting I would put it on the menu to save yourself a few $. I do that as well and it works very well. I put it on the back of the menu. I have a special 1lg pie 10 wings 10 garlic knots 1 2ltr soda 16.99 it sells like hot cakes. At the same time there reading your regular prices and then they have coupons on the back they call right away for the discount.

It might be the wrong one, but here’s my position:

I put two marketing pieces on top of my boxes. One, being a menu and the other being a coupon boxtopper. My reasoning…

Why would I want to charge my regular customers, the ones who are loyal to me and come back time and time again, a higher price than someone who’s trying my product for the first time? I just won’t do it. It’s almost like frequent flier miles (or in this case, frequent pie-er miles). Every customer I have has access to the same offers and everyone is entitled. I put the same bulk mail offers on my boxes. As a matter of fact, my bulk mail company prints “overruns” and these coupons are what I use as boxtoppers (2 cents each - 4 color, hi gloss). I feel that if I constantly give them awesome service, with awesome product, and then throw in awesome prices, it will get them talking about us. I truly believe word of mouth will make you or break you, and if you’re giving them the “hook up”, they’ll do nothing short of programming your number into all their friend’s phones.

The coolest thing you will ever see in your pizza place is a customer coming in to tell you that you’ve got the best pizza they’ve ever had and they’d like to get some menus and some coupons so they can pass them out at their work because you’ve got great deals and the pizza’s so good, they want their friends to try it. <~~ That scenario there happens to me weekly. So I ask you… Why would I not put great coupons on top of my boxes as boxtoppers? These guys constantly take care of me by being loyal. In return, I take care of them and give them access to every coupon that is mailed to potential customers by placing them on top of their boxes. You don’t call them bounce-back offers for nothing. The object is to put an offer so enticing ontop of your pizza box, the cusomters bounce back and order again within a week.

With that being said, contrary to popular belief, I do not deep discount unless there’s a reason for it. One reason would be a marketshare blitz where I try to get huge quantities of customers on the phones for a certain time period. My last marketshare blitz encompassed a “BOGO” special. That blitz lasted 3 months. During this 3 month stretch, I increased my marketshare by almost 4% (an increase of over $12,000 per month). And yes, the BOGO coupons were boxtopped on all my boxes.

In most cases, when I’m not doing a blitz, the coupons I present my customers are a “perceived” value and provide plenty opportunities to upsell. Most coupons have price points around the $10-$12 range. These $10-$12 pricepoints get them to call in. It’s our job to suggestively sell add-ons to increase my ticket averages. Approximately 90% of my customers use coupons. Because of our upselling practices, my average ticket hovers around $17.

I’ve never read a marketing book in my life and I’m probably doing it all wrong, leaving thousand of dollars on the table. BUT, I know the method I’m using works… because my customers are happy and they keep coming back.

So my answer to you would be, “Yes. I put coupons on top of my boxes with my menu.”

-J_r0kk

Last edited:
60.png
j_r0kk:
I put two marketing pieces on top of my boxes. One, being a menu and the other being a coupon boxtopper.
I don’t think anyone’s disagreeing with making coupons readily available. The OP asked about putting coupons ON the menu.

One of the problem with coupons is determining which coupon has the best “bounceback rate”. For some places, it’s a $5 medium, for others, it’s 2 large pizzas, wings, breadsticks and sodas. Your menu as a whole probably won’t change NEARLY as often as your coupons.

Someone with an established business may already know which coupons “work best” and are ready to print thousands of them. However, let’s say you introduce a Fiesta Chicken Salad pizza and put that as your coupon special. Well, it bombs big time. Now, you have a bunch of menus with coupons for a product you don’t sell anymore and have a huge wasted space on the menu (instead of the one line that lists it ON the menu).

Perhaps trying a “mini-menu” with coupons that is made to be used AS a box topper would be a good compromise.

Last edited:
snow,

Yeah, that’s exactly the advice that I gave up23. He’s just getting started over there in NY and, of course, wants to put some coupons on top of his boxes. At the same time, however, he wants people to know what he has to offer, so he wants to put a menu also. Well, he combined the two. He printed menus on a colored 8.5x11 paper with coupons at the bottom.

I can remember doing this at one of my previous new stores and it worked out fairly well. We only printed up about 2,000 at a time. If we wanted to change a special it only took us about 2 weeks to go through the previous batch. I recommend it for people who are just starting out and don’t have much advertising $ to spend. This method gives potential customers the best of both worlds by letting them know what you have to offer and giving them a little incenctive to order again, simultaneously. Also, these menu/coupon offers can be doorhung, placed in convenience stores, placed in college dorms, military bases, etc.

Sorry, I guess I didn’t read the post thoroughly. I got all long-winded for nothing. LOL. -J_r0kk

Last edited:
Back