Continue to Site

Utilties

sricke

Would any of you especially delivery / pickup be willing to share your utility costs?

I am running numbers / planning on paper. Gas, Electric, water, phones. I am looking for actual monthly dollar amounts. I realise that there are variables, but I have no idea of a range at all. TIA!

Last edited:
Sorry but I feel you will not get many responses. You need to figure out how your store will be equiped. Then look into utility rates with your local providers. Then it is really a guessing game from there. You really have no idea how busy you will be. Anyone could give you guesstimates. Two things…where are you located? Are you in an area that will dictate higher costs? Also, go find a pizza or sub shop of similar size and see if the owner would share his utility history. They would have 85% of the same items as you would need. Then adjust for your hours and other equipment.

48.png
sricke:
Would any of you especially delivery / pickup be willing to share your utility costs?

I am running numbers / planning on paper. Gas, Electric, water, phones. I am looking for actual monthly dollar amounts. I realise that there are variables, but I have no idea of a range at all. TIA!
When creating our business plan, I contacted our Gas, Water, & Electric companies and asked for average costs of three restaurants of our same square footage. While they can’t divulge which businesses they quoted, they were more than happy to help when I let them know that I would be opening a pizza place.

5 years later, looking back on my business plan, those estimates were spot on.

Phone costs, however, are up to you. I do a bundled package deal with our phone company for internet as well and pay approximately $180 a month. Seems steep, but I insist on extremely high internet speeds.

Last edited:
On current sales of $4500-5000 a week and 1400 sq ft w/double deck oven utilities are:
electric- $450 (electric hot water tank)
gas- $250
phones- $170
Not sure if this helps without rates

Last edited:
Utilties for us range from $500 to $1000 per month. $8000 per year.
Phones including DSL internet are $225 per month. (four lines)

I agree with other posters that those numbers do not mean much unless you know equipment, square footage, utility rates, region etc…

Last edited:
Funny you ask I just got a report from our electric company about usage…We average 26.00 a day for electric. We have a 1800 sq. foot building. Double Gas Deck oven and gas water heater. Dine In Carry out and Delivery

2 AC’s and gas station type walk in.

As for the phone I we pay about 250 a month for 4 lines

Gas is about 250 a month

Open 7 days 6am (prep) to 11pm

Last edited:
I guess its all relative. We have 2400 sq ft, large # of coolers, walk-in, 2 gas conveyors, 2 draft machines, 2 fountain machines, 2x 5ton ACs (that operate 8 months out of the year), 950# ice machine, 1 electric 2dr vulcan, 4 voip lines, 10/50mb biz cable. Cooling is the biggest part of our bill.

For 2011, we spent $30K on utilities,
In 2010, we spent $32K,
In 2009, we spent $28K,
In 2008, we spent $26K.

We’ve added additional capacity each year, and improved operations. As a % of sales, utilities are improving greatly each year. But as a full service store with both carry-out & delivery, it appears we use a lot more.

Last edited:
Back