Continue to Site

Want to open up shop in Nashville and I want to be prepared

xyankie84

First off, this forum is great, love everything I have read so far. The only trouble is that there is so much info it’s hard to know where to find just what I need. I’ve worked in all different types of restaurants (just major chains when it comes to pizza, nothing of great quality like I have in mind). None the less I’m going to do it. While I have a ton a questions, some of the major things I would like to know is about some good equipment that is worth the money (ovens, mixers, etc…) and ingredients (what’s worth paying the shipping to get a bulk discount, where to get it, and what is more worth while to get a local wholesaler). Also what are some of the prices I can expect to pay for the big ticket items? And what kind of staff is going to be needed for a dine in and carryout pizzeria open for lunch and dinner, assuming an average demand? Wow there is a lot I need to know. Well any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Re: Want to open up shop in Nashville and I want to be prepa

welcome i am also in tn pizza supply i deal with is pepes in lebanon tn. ask for fred he will hook you up might check with greg at ams up in knoxville for ovens. good luck this is wonderful place for info.

Last edited:

I used to use Pepes, but they will not carry any high end products. So if you want to do a quality pie…good luck.

Fred is a good guy, and a wealth of knowledge.

Last edited:
60.png
xyankie84:
First off, this forum is great, love everything I have read so far. The only trouble is that there is so much info it’s hard to know where to find just what I need. I’ve worked in all different types of restaurants (just major chains when it comes to pizza, nothing of great quality like I have in mind). None the less I’m going to do it. While I have a ton a questions, some of the major things I would like to know is about some good equipment that is worth the money (ovens, mixers, etc…) and ingredients (what’s worth paying the shipping to get a bulk discount, where to get it, and what is more worth while to get a local wholesaler). Also what are some of the prices I can expect to pay for the big ticket items? And what kind of staff is going to be needed for a dine in and carryout pizzeria open for lunch and dinner, assuming an average demand? Wow there is a lot I need to know. Well any help would be great. Thanks.
Where in Nashville?

Last edited:

I’m in Bellevue just outside outside of West Nashville.

Last edited:

I almost bought an oven off the guy…name escapes me…that owns “Say cheese” in Bellvue. Realyl nice guy.

Last edited:

Have some very rough ideas but nothing in particular. Would really like to be right on Hwy 70. My biggest obsticle will be getting financing. So I’m trying to get the best plan together I can. There are a few spaces available near the mall, the one with Say Cheese, which I just ate at for the first time last week. I want to really focus on the dine in crowd, would like to have a nice design with a Tuscan feel to it, nice brick oven in view, that kind of thing. Give me some feed back.

Last edited:

Unfortunately not much. Mostly Enough to cover a decreeased income (I’'m going to have to quite my day job). So this will be mostly financed. Once I get my plans all together and it seems pretty solid I do have a relative with some money that might be willing to give a little down payment. But I’m trying to use that as a last resort.

Last edited:

What kind of food costs can I expect for a high quality pizza? Any other average costs would be nice too.

Last edited:

Thank you, I think I’ll plan for 30% to be safe in the beginning.

Last edited:

Hey Bellevue is great. Are you trying to compete with Pizza Perfect, or you going totally high end? I’ve always (when I lived there) thought a Bellacino’s would do well on hwy 70 somewhere in it’s own building.

You’ll probably need 20-30% down to get any financing help.

Last edited:

Under-financing is probably the biggest cause of restaurant failures.

Getting financing for a restaurant is horribly difficult – they want to see YOUR neck on the line, not theirs.

Things to keep in mind… Coke and Pepsi (and the beer guys) will give you free fountains/taps for THEIR products only.

Normally, a gas oven is cheaper to operate than an electric, but we do have some CHEAP electric rates around here, so I can’t begin to give you an anaylsis on which is cheaper to operate in Nashville (or anywhere that TVA services).

Hobart makes the best dough mixer – I’ve never heard anyone disagree with that statement. For the cost of a used Hobart, you can almost get a new cheaper brand though. Hobarts run almost forever and no other mixer has that type of track record. If you do get a used Hobart (60 or 80qt) or any mixer for that matter, make sure you look at the sight glass to make sure it has enough oil/grease in it and that you check it regularly.

You really have to get some recipes together. You need a dough and sauce that you’re PROUD of. Throwing artichokes and feta cheese on a Pizza Hut base isn’t a gourmet or high-end product.

Last edited:
Back