Continue to Site

Western Auatralian Pizza Chef Crowned World Champ

wa_dave

Theo Kalogeracos who owns 2 pizza outlets in Perth Western Australia won the non traditional in the International Pizza Challenge and the blind box championships at the recent Los Vegas Pizza Expo. This is a great achievement for Theo following his other win in 1995.
This in an exert I found.

Chef Theo Kalogeracos of Perth, Australia, claimed first in the non-traditional category of the International Pizza Challenge, which netted him $10,000. He then took the win (worth $5,000) in the blind-box competition, which pits the top two finishers in both the traditional and non-traditional categories against one another in a timed contest that requires the competitors to work from a pre-determined list of ingredients. Additionally, each competitor was required to use a secret ingredient — this year’s must-have was grilled chicken.

“Both of Theo’s pies were fantastic, so I can see why the judges loved them,” says White. “His dessert pizza in the non-traditional contest was particularly inventive. There were a lot of good entries, so the judges had a tough time this year. But I think they did well by selecting Theo’s creations. They were both truly winners.”

A great win for Theo and another feather in his impressive cap. A great guy and always helpfull to others in the industry, never shying away from answering questions about problems or ideas you may have.

I don’t know if anyone who went to Vegas saw this part of the show or if they had a chance speak with Theo.

Theo has knocked back requests to open in New York preferring to concentrate on his 2 shops in Perth - and undoubtably his one in Jakatta in Indonesia. I also heard he is looking at opening in Shanghai but I haven’t spoken with him for a while so this can’t be confirmed.

Go the Aussies

Dave

Last edited:
Dave if your half as nice as Theo your ok with me Theo is genuinly friendly met him last year at the expo and he made such an impact on me that i had to look for him this year was awsome talking with him

dennis

Last edited:
The Fat Boy:
Dave if your half as nice as Theo your ok with me Theo is genuinly friendly met him last year at the expo and he made such an impact on me that i had to look for him this year was awsome talking with him

dennis
Yeah he is a really nice person, friendly and very open. For all of his successes in competitions, his shops, vast media exposure and his pizza book, he is down to earth and open. What I like is that no matter how stupid a question might be he always answers in a manner which is helpful and non put down.

He deserves all the success and rewards that comes his way. He is someone in the industry here in Perth (and I guess everywhere) that I look up to and try to emulate his standards, ideas and standing.

Oh … and he can really cook up a mean pizza. Dessert pizzas are his specialty and people come from far and wide to savour his delights.

Dave

Last edited:
The Fat Boy:

dennis
Yeah he is a really nice person, friendly and very open. For all of his successes in competitions, his shops, vast media exposure and his pizza book, he is down to earth and open. What I like is that no matter how stupid a question might be he always answers in a manner which is helpful and non put down.

He deserves all the success and rewards that comes his way. He is someone in the industry here in Perth (and I guess everywhere) that I look up to and try to emulate his standards, ideas and standing.

Oh … and he can really cook up a mean pizza. Dessert pizzas are his specialty and people come from far and wide to savour his delights.

Dave

Last edited:
wa dave:
I don’t know if anyone who went to Vegas saw this part of the show or if they had a chance speak with Theo.
He won the division I was in. His dessert and the 2nd place pie both had some amazing presentation. I didn’t really get a chance to chat, but I watched him whip a mean egg in the final round on stage.

Last edited:
Back