Continue to Site

What I found in a Employee Handbook from a Chain Pizzeria

Integraoligist

Hey all,
As i’m currently revising my employee handbook, i’ve been researching other pizzerias handbooks that employees still had kept and from what i found on-line… and in one “chain” restaurant (i think they have 12 shops)… they have a working disclouser agreement saying that once the employee leaves the place of business they can not work at any other type of reasturant or facility that deals with pizza, sandwiches, and other menu items for a minimum of 3 years… otherwise they will get sued.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Thats crazy! :roll:

Last edited:
Re: What I found in a Employee Handbook from a Chain Pizzeri

That sounds pretty extreme for a pizza place. I work for a medical diagnostics company and they say the same thing as well, except it’s two years (similar policy to pharma companies if you cant picture what a diagnostic co. is). It has never been followed up on as far as I know. In fact, one manager I know left our company for another diagnostics company about 15 miles away…our company then tried to offer her something better. She was back at our company after being gone for about 6 months. Employees shift all the time in the same field and I’ve never heard anyone get sued. No one will work for your company if you have a reputation for doing something like this.

Basically, and this is for any company probably, you sign a contract not giving away any proprietary info. I imagine you’ve thought of this with recipes and methods and such. Although, there may be cases where they do sue people and I just havent heard of it (reserved for people who wrong the complany maybe)…sounds pretty insane though, I agree.

Last edited:

Never works. It will not be held up in a court of Law. If the employee is a manager or owner/partner it will work in some cases.

Last edited:

I used to work for a company that did water processing and waste management for nuclear facilities. When we were bought out the new owners required all of us to sign a similar agreement. I refused to sign unless they included a clause that stated the company recognised that compliance with this agreement would forbid me from working in the only field in which I had any professional experience and would therefore limit my ability to earn an income. The company therefore agrees that upon the employees seperation from the company, regardless of reason, the company will pay the employee the diference between his actual monthly income and the average monthly income for the twelve moth period prior to his termination as long as the employee is complying with this non-compete agreement.

They obviously refused to agree but my point was made, I refused to sign the agreement and I worked for them for 3 more years. I can not imagine a non compete for an hourly employee. I can understand a non-disclosure agreement. If one of my key employees left, and went to work for a competitor, and the competitor sudddenly started making food the exact same way I did, I would be concerned.

Last edited:

It would never hold up in a court of law, as most non-competes don’t. You can’t restrict free-trade.

I’m not sure why they would care anyway. However, if an employee agrees to it, more power to them. I know a place where new employees agree to wait an entire month for their first paycheck! 🙂 🙂

Last edited:
Registered Guest:
I’m not sure why they would care anyway. However, if an employee agrees to it, more power to them. I know a place where new employees agree to wait an entire month for their first paycheck! 🙂 🙂
really? who? thats genius! :lol:

Last edited:
Back