What is tomato sauce and tomato puree in the U.S

Luke

Hi Tom,

Just wondering what you were referring to when you said tomato sauce and tomato puree in your below sauce recipe.

In Australia I’m playing with tomato paste, pasatta, canned tomatoes(in juice) and crushed tomatoes.
(Have included them in the attached photo)

The problem is I’m trying to marry them up to your terminology.

Silly question I know, so appreciate the help.

Luke

Last edited:
Oh here is the recipe I was referring too…

1Tomato sauce—200 ÷ 284 x 100 = 70.42253%
2Tomato puree—64 ÷ 284 x 100 = 22.53521%
3Olive oil—16 ÷ 284 x 100 = 5.6338%
4Seasoning blend—4 ÷ 284 x 100 = 1.40845%

Last edited:
Tomato sauce: approx. 10% solids content (90% water).
Tomato puree: approx. 8% solids content (92% water).
I do not recommend the use of paste (approx. 25% solids/75% water) as the flavor is so much different from that of fresh tomato. I would suggest trying all sauce or a 50/50 blend of sauce and crushed tomatoes. This will give you a fresher flavor that anything using diluted paste.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Tomato sauce: approx. 10% solids content (90% water).
Tomato puree: approx. 8% solids content (92% water).
I do not recommend the use of paste (approx. 25% solids/75% water) as the flavor is so much different from that of fresh tomato. I would suggest trying all sauce or a 50/50 blend of sauce and crushed tomatoes. This will give you a fresher flavor that anything using diluted paste.
Tom,

Would you consider Bonta extra heavy pizza sauce with basil or Saporito super heavy to be tomato paste?

Last edited:
I can’t speak to the Bonta product but I know the Saporito should work just fine.
Paste is so thick that you have to dig it out of the can.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, I am using 50% Mutti Sauce and 50% Canned Tomatoes and it tastes great, really fresh and light which is the taste I’m after.
Just wondering how you get a really smooth consistency with an uncooked sauce ?
Can you can get a smooth consistency in an uncooked sauce like you do in a cooked(and sieved) sauce…

Last edited:
Sure, it all depends upon the texture/consistency of the tomato product you’re using. Cooking the sauce to achieve a smooth texture/consistency is never a good idea because it dramatically reduces to overall flavor profile of the sauce after it’s again baked on the pizza. You know how good a cooking/cooked sauce smells, too bad no one else will ever be able to smell it. Remember too that it is the larger pieces of tomato particulate that provide that fresh tomato burst of flavor on the finished pizza. The best sauce is generally nothing more than fresh crushed tomato with a few herbs added. BUT, if you add onion or garlic to the sauce be sure to first put it into a bowl and microwave it to a full boil. This is done to inactivate the enzymes in onion and garlic which act to catalyze the pectins in the tomato causing it to thicken, so then you add more water to thin it to spreading consistency which further dilutes the flavor of the sauce.

Last edited:
Ahhh, what do you microwave the onion or garlic in to bring it to the boil…water ?
I heard somewhere someone else talking about putting your herbs like oregano in the microwave too ?

Last edited:
No, just the onion and/or garlic. You don’t want to boil any of the other herbs unless you want to diminish their flavor intensity.
Just put the onion and/or garlic in a small bowl, add some water, and “nuke” to a full boil, you can allow it to cool or add it hot, there won’t be any difference.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
Just wondering what I’m doing wrong when I’m working with canned tomatoes ?
I’m getting lots of seeds and stems in my sauce.
The consistency is also too watery…
I’m now just trying canned tomatoes and adding a seasoning blend and oil.

Last edited:
Seeds are present in some tomato products and removed from others, but stems should not be present, maybe you need to look for a higher quality tomato product. But I don’t understand your question “working with canned tomatoes/getting lots of seeds and stems in the sauce/the consistency is too watery” Now trying (canned tomatoes) and adding a seasoning blend and oil. What is different about the canned tomatoes that you are now using as opposed to those that were too watery? Sometimes if you are using a tomato product that is very chunky you might need to drain off some of the juice.

Last edited:
Sorry to be confusing.
I’m using canned plum tomatoes from a couple of brands.
One brand had stems and one didn’t, but they both had a fairly high amount of seeds.
I can’t sieve the seeds out of them because it would take some of the nice tomato pulp as well.
Hope that makes more sense.

Last edited:
Yes it does. The seeds are part of the whole plum tomato product specification. Most stores just drain off the excess liquid and then crust the tomatoes and use them just as they are, seeds and all. They’re not a problem. Stay away from the brand with the stems.

Last edited:
hi Tom Lehmann.i am Ellen from china.i want to study how to do dough .i know you are experter.i want to send some pictures to you,but its faild.could you tell me youe email?thanks!

通过我的 PLK-TL01H 上的 Tapatalk发言

Last edited:
Sorry to be confusing.
I’m using canned plum tomatoes from a couple of brands.
One brand had stems and one didn’t, but they both had a fairly high amount of seeds.
I can’t sieve the seeds out of them because it would take some of the nice tomato pulp as well.
Hope that makes more sense.
Luke I’m in Western Australia.
We use Pronto Pizza Sauce and add a little sugar , even less salt, minced garlic and dried Italian Herbs.
Customers rave about our pizzas and the sauce (see our 243, 5 star reviews on WOMO (www.womo.com.au)
At one time we did use a mix of Pronto pizzas sauce and Prontofresca (pulped tomato) but went back to the original pizzas sauce as there wasn’t any real difference.
They say Mutti is the same as Pronto but after tasting both Pronto is far superior. Your wholesaler should have it. About $8.80 a can.
Dave

Last edited:
Back