Continue to Site

What's with the Chipotle style pizza joints?

Patriot_sPizza

…these ‘Chipotle’ styled pizza joints…lol…

We considered doing one a while ago, but we had some old/noisey MM360’s and it wasn’t feasible…

What are, for instance, Pie 5, Blaze, Pizza Locale etc. using to cook their pies in minutes…

I have a working knowledge of many WFO and current conveyor ovens, but always looking for new info…

Anyone familar with the Turbo Chef conveyor? Curious…we’ve used the brand before in other applications…

Just looking for a little more insight/info…

Last edited:
Re: What’s with…

I just read an article about this concept this morning. The article said that they worked with oven manufacturers to develop a deck without cold spots by “automatically moving the pie” around the surface… and baking at 1,000°. They said the bake time was about 2 minutes.

Of course, if you have table service and beer, you may not subscribe to the quicker is better model. Customers who spend more time in a restaurant mean bigger checks. Not that any of us should dawdle, but increased sales are always preferable, and I’ve never heard a customer complain about savoring a pint or two of craft beer with a pie delivered in a reasonable amount of time. Compliment that with a smiling server and a pleasant environment and… viola.

Last edited:
My friend has entered into this market now - http://infinituspie.com/ (I bought one of my current shops from him)

Is it any different than what I do? Not really, just highlights the makeline for the customer to see all the toppings, etc.

He uses standard MM 360’s

Can it send a different message? You bet!

Last edited:
I went to a pie five in my market. I assumed this concept would develop a few years ago. It is a really cool setup (conveyors). The pizzas come out fast. The prices are cheap. However, the pizza was bad. Not a little bad, inedible IMO. I really wanted to like this concept and would have been all-in if it had marginal pizza. But I could not see myself going back there because the pizza was so bad…

I think this concept will be a short-term success. Wether it has staying power is still up in the air, but my guess is that does.

Patrick Cuezze

Last edited:
I really wanted to like pie 5 as well, but I agree the pizza was awful. It was cold and undercooked
I think this is a good business model and I know its coming to my market soon, but at least Pie 5 still has some work to do on their ovens in my opinion

Last edited:
Many successful businesses have poor products but can do very well if they are priced accordingly and/or drive sales by aggressive marketing…

Last edited:
The chain in my area pieology.com is doing really well as far as I can tell. All of the yelp reviews are positive. According to the reviews they have a great product, great service and great price. There are some smoke and mirrors going on there though.

For one, they claim the pizza is ready in 5 minutes. Yes that may be true but its 5 minutes from the time you get to the cashier. It is very likely going to take you 20 minutes to get to that point.

Two, They charge 7.99 for a 9 inch custom pizza. We charge 3.99 to 6.99 for the same. Yet people are all over the internet talking about how inexpensive that is.

Give them credit though. A group of 4 go in, get 4 pizzas and 4 drinks and they ring it up for $40 and somehow that’s a deal. We can serve up the same amount of pizza and drinks for less than $20

Last edited:
Couple of days ago I read this and started researching the ovens they are using. The rotating table gas fired 800 degree ovens exist and is sparking this “revolution”. The concept might fall apart if you don’t stick with the 2 minute napoli style pizza. (thin crust, lightly topped and very high temp)

Made me wonder how hot and fast I could cook in my XLT? Has anyone experimented with this? Tom Lehman?

This is really a fast casual dining experience versus ordering and sharing pizza at home with family and friends.

Last edited:
As I started the thread, I already knew ofthe rotating true brick oven, andthe Remanco, but I don’t beleve Pieology, Blaze, nor Pie 5 use any of these…

If my memory serves me correctlt, Remanco had/has a less than stellar record and the revolving brick oven is extremely costly…

I also just recently read Woodstone was just acquired by HennyPenny…

Last edited:
Back