Continue to Site

When to use EDDM

MidnightRider

We are a new shop and I am looking to take my first forray into EDDM in September.

Our primary advertising vehicle so far has been VALPAK which has proven to be very effective. The VALPAK’s typically hit the first week of the month and we are getting huge boosts from it, anywhere from 20-50%. Obviously, as our sales grow the percentage gets smaller, but the increase we see is in the 600-800/week basis for the first week and 300-500 per week after that for the remainder of the month’s. I think this is a great return for the 300-400/month the ads have cost me.

My initial thought with EDDM is to do drops on weeks 2, 3 & 4 when we don’t already have pieces hitting, but then I know it is no accident that VALPAK (and most other print mediums) focus on mailing the first week of the month.

I thought I would get feedback from the forum on what they think would be the best schedule to use for EDDM and coordinate it with my current advertising?

Finally, I have seen a number of posts and opinions that having mailing hit on Wednesday or Thursday is the best approach. If anyone has any other opinion or experience on this, I would love to hear it!

Last edited:
I do runs of the EDDM Menus in 8 week blocks. I do 8 weeks in a row regardless of other sources of media dropping, then 8 weeks off. I set up my areas with 16 weeks of drops to hit the whole area. After the 8 week break it is back to mailing every week to the other half of my area. I hit my areas 2.5 times a year with menus. Updating them nearly every 8 week cycle to keep em fresh and make adjustments as needed with food prices, etc.

I always hit my post offices on Wednesday so more than likely they go out on Thursday and power up the weekend, but menus last a whole lot longer than a postcard or a flyer/insert. The momentum builds. I am in a 1 coupon book and then my chain does a monthly Vallassis/MegaSheet (Advo) - I feel my menus and EDDM method is very effective and part of the reason I am having record breaking sales month after month.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Dale have you done any testing with more frequency and less aggressive offers?..Have you done any A/B splits where you a different piece in different areas?..

Last edited:
Dale have you done any testing with more frequency and less aggressive offers?..Have you done any A/B splits where you a different piece in different areas?..
My menus do have some coupons on them but mostly package deals (2 pizzas, bread and a 2ltr), etc. Not really tried any major changes, all I know is it works and has staying power.

I did recently get a very cool 4 over 4 8x11 postcard from a sub shop in one of my areas which had me intrigued to try…put out menus in 2-3 routes then the following week use that over-sized postcard format and hit same routes…talking to my printer/eddm people on Monday.

Last edited:
Back