Continue to Site

Which Pizza Box Insert Do You Use?

Joe

Cardboard Pizza Circles or Sandwich Wrap type paper?

I currently use sandwich wrap to line my boxes but read using cardboard pizza circles could help keep the crust crispier on deliveries. Anyone have any feedback on this? My hesitation is the price difference as the cardboard circles are .08 cents per while the sandwich wrap is .04 cents per.

Last edited:
We switched recently to the perfect crust liners from sandwich wrap style. The problem with sandwich wrap (wax or quilon liners) is that they repel any grease right back into the pizza, instead of absorbing the grease. In that case you might as well use nothing, since a cardboard box will at least absorb the grease. The problem with only using a box is when it comes to your multiple topping, wet pizzas. We have had deluxe pizzas almost fall through the box (no joke!) from all the moisture with no liner.
The perfect crust liners are nice because they absorb grease, allow air to flow under the pizza and help to keep it much crisper. Its nice also because they have tabs on the corners to pull the pizza back into the box after you cut it. The one thing I don’t like about them, due to their design, is that it’s easy to grab 2 of them since they interlock while they are stacked.
Yes, there is an added cost to the liner. But we felt that why not do what we can to improve our product. It only added about $40-50 per week in cost, but what is the added value to the customer? Is that money worth not sending out a soggy pizza, soggy box, etc? We thought so!

Dan

Last edited:
We switched recently to the perfect crust liners from sandwich wrap style. The problem with sandwich wrap (wax or quilon liners) is that they repel any grease right back into the pizza, instead of absorbing the grease. In that case you might as well use nothing, since a cardboard box will at least absorb the grease. The problem with only using a box is when it comes to your multiple topping, wet pizzas. We have had deluxe pizzas almost fall through the box (no joke!) from all the moisture with no liner.
The perfect crust liners are nice because they absorb grease, allow air to flow under the pizza and help to keep it much crisper. Its nice also because they have tabs on the corners to pull the pizza back into the box after you cut it. The one thing I don’t like about them, due to their design, is that it’s easy to grab 2 of them since they interlock while they are stacked.
Yes, there is an added cost to the liner. But we felt that why not do what we can to improve our product. It only added about $40-50 per week in cost, but what is the added value to the customer? Is that money worth not sending out a soggy pizza, soggy box, etc? We thought so!

Dan
Thanks Dan. How do the perfect crust liners differ from cardboard circles? And who do you get these from and how much do they cost?

Last edited:
We just had some samples sent from Perfect Crust, and they do work well if you are using cardboard boxes,

I try to get most of our pies out the door in bags, on a cardboard circle for a savings of $0.60 per pizza, ($0.75/Box here at 16" size generic printing)

Last edited:
Add me to the list of Perfect Crust users. I have to order a years supply at a time directly form them because there is no distribution in my area.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of Perfect Crust users. I have to order a years supply at a time directly form them because there is no distribution in my area.
Yeah I saw you on the list of testimonials on their website.

Last edited:
For 8.5 years I’ve just put the pizzas in a box, cut and sent out. Does a liner really change much? It would have to be a noticeable difference for me to justify the extra costs.

Last edited:
We just had some samples sent from Perfect Crust, and they do work well if you are using cardboard boxes,

I try to get most of our pies out the door in bags, on a cardboard circle for a savings of $0.60 per pizza, ($0.75/Box here at 16" size generic printing)
Pizza in a bag seems strange. Does it work well at all?

Last edited:
How do you deliver pizzas in a bag? Is there a special insert for delivery bags so you’re not stacking pizzas?

Last edited:
We box for delivery, but try to use bags as much as we can

When we have carryouts we try to use the typical waxed paper bags with a corrugated circle as much as possible. My main reasons are higher quality at the destination, and cost savings, we punch up the center of the bag and also use a single staple to close the bag in the center only, this lets steam escape out of the bag for a better pie when they get home, and the customers has less waste to deal with.
Also, the smell emanating from a bag on their trip home smells much better than hot damp cardboard does.
If we have multiple pies going out, we use a combination of boxes and bags, delivery is always boxed, our delivery fee helps offset the extra cost of boxing everything.

I am getting hosed on pizza box costs, I am at $0.75 each for a 16" box, and my circles cost us $0.20 each, so I am just under $1.00 packaging each large pizza if I only used boxes
Add that up over a years time at your current volume. That’d put you on a brand new Harley Street-Glide Special every spring.
I’ve only started seeing pizza boxes once the chains entered the state in the 1980’s, otherwise all the mom & pop shops used bags, and many still do.
(I am not 100% pizza, so my pizza volumes do not allow me to get the stellar deals many of you see on bulk packaging purchases, only about 15% of my sales are pizza right now, and we are trying to up that considerably)

Last edited:
For 8.5 years I’ve just put the pizzas in a box, cut and sent out. Does a liner really change much? It would have to be a noticeable difference for me to justify the extra costs.
This is my question also. We have placed the pizza directly on the box since day 1. I have tested all of the above products at various times over the years and personally have not found a difference. Except 1. With the ripple board insert, on a delivered pizza. The pizza is slightly more crispier for about 30 seconds right when you open the box. After the steam goes away the pizza was identical with or without the insert.

Last edited:
around here(Chicago) all thin crust pizzas get delivered in bags… we use reusable boxes for each bagged pizzas. if someone orders multiple pizzas, or stuffed or pan pizzas they go in regular pizza boxes.

Last edited:
We use perfect crust liners, it could be debated if they work better or not, but one thing that can’t be debated is that people eat with their eye’s and when you open a pizza box using a perfect crust liner-- it looks crisp and clean not a greasy, wet mess sitting at the bottom of the box. Perception is reality. sell the sizzle. lol Even if it tastes the same.

Last edited:
we used a clay box with corrgated pizza circles for 25yrs (no delivery). When we added delivery about 10yrs ago the clay boxes would not hold well so we switched to corrugated boxes, but the circles were overkill and expensive. The paper liner did not work well especially with veg & specialty pizzas. We used the crust saver for a year but found it expensive. After years, I finally found a reasonable solution that I found works just as well as the perfect crust/crust saver, which is the pizza insert (corrugated ripple board) from Star Pizza Box in OH. I order 75-100cases a clip that come on a rig and store to make cost reasonable. For dine-in we use a pizza screen (we cook in pans) and serve on a tray which we find works out very well

Last edited:
We use perfect crust liners, it could be debated if they work better or not, but one thing that can’t be debated is that people eat with their eye’s and when you open a pizza box using a perfect crust liner-- it looks crisp and clean not a greasy, wet mess sitting at the bottom of the box. Perception is reality. sell the sizzle. lol Even if it tastes the same.
Does the oil just fall off the bottom of the slices and into the perfect crust liner then or how does it work?

Last edited:
Does the oil just fall off the bottom of the slices and into the perfect crust liner then or how does it work?
Give them a call, have them send you a few samples to check them out. I plan to add them here before summer.

Last edited:
Back