Continue to Site

white pizza, ricotta vs cottage cheese

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
S

system

I make a white pizza with ricotta topped with mozzarella…
tonite I am going to make some using cottage cheese in place of the ricotta.

…anybody else tried that…
…cottage cheese is a popular and effective replacement for ricotta in lasagne…

Otis

WT is right. I have to admit, I have never liked cottage cheese in anything.

Let us know how it comes out.

Last edited:
Otis Gunn:

Otis
…I tried it and it was a poor substitute for ricotta in taste and texture on the pizza
it works a lot better as a replacement for ricotta in lasagne,
Otis

I’ve only ever seen french canadians put cottage cheese in lasagna… Doesn’t sound too good but let us know.
  • aba

Last edited:
60.png
abatardi:
I’ve only ever seen french canadians put cottage cheese in lasagna… Doesn’t sound too good but let us know.
  • aba
I do not do lasagne, just pizza, so can not let you know about that.
I have just had lasagne with cottage cheese instead of ricotta and thought is was a common substitute, just what I thought…now you know.
most people probably do not know/detect the difference,
Otis

Otis Gunn:

Otis
One of the reasons I’ve stuck with Roma Fodds as my supplier thru the years is that they have a very high quality ricotta cheese. Until I tried theirs, I considered ricotta to be nothing more than a glorified cottage cheese (which I’ve never liked). If you want to try something different, give this a shot - we make a white sauce pizza …

Mix 3 cups romano, 1T black pepper, and 2T granulated garlic in with 3# Ricotta. Once it’s blended, add 1/2 gallon whole milk. Stir until all lumps disappear. In taste, it’s kind of similar to an alfredo sauce.

One of our most popular specialty pies uses this sauce, chicken chest (I can’t believe this board won’t let us use the “B” word), roasted red peppers, and fresh garlic.

The only other ricotta Ive tried that I’d use in my shop is Polly-O. If you don’t have Roma in your area, I’d ask your supplier if they carry it. If you get the good stuff, it makes a HUGE difference, especially if you make your own cannolis, or use ricotta in your calzones.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I’ve stuck with Roma Fodds as my supplier thru the years is that they have a very high quality ricotta cheese. Until I tried theirs, I considered ricotta to be nothing more than a glorified cottage cheese (which I’ve never liked). If you want to try something different, give this a shot - we make a white sauce pizza …

Mix 3 cups romano, 1T black pepper, and 2T granulated garlic in with 3# Ricotta. Once it’s blended, add 1/2 gallon whole milk. Stir until all lumps disappear. In taste, it’s kind of similar to an alfredo sauce.

looks very similar to the Grande recipe, except for the milk, good to know, and similar to the recipe that I use
I have used Grande Soprafina, fine cut, and the Polly-O old fashion ricotta with equally good results… who makes the ricotta that Roma distributes?

…now, for the rest of the story…
after polling the people who tried the comparison of white pizza made with cottage cheese or with ricotta, some people liked the cottage cheese more, most could not tell the difference…I like the ricotta more, it has a better mouth feel…so that’s what I will go with
I do not know cheeses enough to know how ricotta and cottage cheese are different…I wish someone would chime in with a simple explaination

eveidently, others do not either
bottum line, we must go with what we think best,
Otis

hello Otis, Cottage chse. is really not a chse. you want to cook/heat.It is designed for fruits and deserts as is Marscapone chse.
Niccademo

Last edited:
hello Otis, Cottage chse. is really not a chse. you want to cook/heat.It is designed for fruits and deserts as is Marscapone chse.
Niccademo

Last edited:
Cottage cheese is a cheese curd product with a mild flavor. It is drained, but not pressed so some whey remains. The curd is usually washed to remove acidity giving sweet curd cheese. It is not aged or colored. Different styles of cottage cheese are made from milks with different fat levels and in small curd or large curd preparations. Cottage cheese which is pressed becomes hoop cheese, farmer cheese, pot cheese or queso blanco.

…from Wikipedia, internet encylcopedia…
from looking at ricotta, the process is similar, but less whey remains…
cheese amazes me, all coming from cream and there are so many different kinds, and opinions on it
…we can “define” much more than we understand…
Otis

Back