Continue to Site

Who Packages Supremo Italiano For Restaurant Depot?

indie_pizza

I tried out a case of SI 50-50 last week on a whim and was really happy with it. It’s close, but not quite as good as my Grande, but I’m probably the only person that would notice a difference and it’s about $.50 less per pound without bulk pricing.

It’s a 90 mile drive to get to RD, and I really don’t want to try to haul that much cheese. I’m guessing RD has another cheese manufacturer doing the work and packaging it under their own store brand. Anyone know who it is or a way to find out. I’d rather have my distributor supply it instead of RD.

Last edited:
I am not a 100% sure about this but I think that is their brand. You know how you can buy a Supermarket brand product, that is how the SI is. It is Restaurant Depots store brand. Again I am not 100% sure but I think it was on here that I read it on some random post on cheeses. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It is their store brand, but I’m fairly confident that they don’t manufacture the cheese themselves. Kind of like Wal-Mart Great Value Peanut Butter is actually Jiffy.

Last edited:
Indie I do not think it is as easy as that…RD has probably formulated their own recipe and contracts to 1 or more cheese makers to make it…They may or may not use the same “contractor” in all areas of the country…Although they do a pretty good job of keeping multiple contractors consistent, their primary focus is value…Unlike a brand name which will put more effort into consistency…

At the end of the day, a brand name product will usually be more consistent than a “house brand” from RD or any other food service broker…

And as far a Walmart, if you read labels the way I do, you will often see that the ingredients and/or nutrition values vary…And sometimes they change back and forth…So this suggests to me that they may source the same SKUs at multiple contractors…

Last edited:
One thing I do know is that Restaurant Depots tomatoes are really good, the ones that are in the SI 6# cans. I tried them couple weeks ago and they had the least amount of seeds and they tasted pretty good, not the best but pretty good.

Last edited:
Back