Continue to Site

Who uses steak?

durbancic

We are considering adding a steak product to our menu. Get requests weekly for steak subs, etc. Do you use steak? What do you use? If we add steak I want it to be something my customers are impressed with.
We have a conveyor oven, microwave and a hot plate. We do not have a grill. We use the hot plate to cook pasta - it is not typically on or used during dinner. We also have a Hobart with a meat grinder attachment.
I would prefer it to be something operationally smooth and simple. Don’t really want to pull out a frying pan and turn on the hot plate while we are slammed to make a few steak subs.
Thank you!

Last edited:
We used Certified Angus tenderloin as a pizza topping. Not as crazy expensive as you might think if you buy random size trim pieces. Essentially stew meat but from a premium cut. We cooked it off in our oven and then used a mushroom slicer to cut it into something we could work with as a topping.

Shelf life fresh is not great and food handling is an issue but good for a week cooked.

Last edited:
We used Certified Angus tenderloin as a pizza topping. Not as crazy expensive as you might think if you buy random size trim pieces. Essentially stew meat but from a premium cut. We cooked it off in our oven and then used a mushroom slicer to cut it into something we could work with as a topping.

Shelf life fresh is not great and food handling is an issue but good for a week cooked.
We have one of these, would it work to slice it? https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ne...zEEj91uwbilGmvMA5SeMpxyj7f-ak5HRoCRdsQAvD_BwE
What do you cook it to temp wise?
Is there much loss when it cooks down?
We do raw sausage that we cook 1-2x per week, so we can manage the fresh meat aspect of it.
Appx what is the cost (either before or after cooked?). I believe you charge a 2 or 3x premium for it, correct?

Last edited:
Steak was never that big for me. had it for about 4.5 years, we did panini, sandwiches, and a dinner. never offer it in a pizza though, we used prime NY vein steaks. They were good but it never really sold. discontinued them a while back.

Last edited:
We sell alot of steak subs, we use a fresh product I grind up on the hobart. My process is unusall so I wont go into detail on it.

But for you id suggest asking your vendor about frozen pre portioned steaksfor subs, they cook in like 2 mins from frozen, they do the job, and are operatingly smooth

Last edited:
We have one of these, would it work to slice it?
That is exactly the same thing that we used.

Not nearly as much loss as with sausage.

The pieces were small enough that one pass through the oven cooked them nicely.

Yes, we charged it as a 3X topping like we do with elk or wild boar or salmon. There are less expensive options but being able to talk about filet mignon was worth it. It has been a while but I think the trim pieces were about $6 or $7 a pound so portion cost was probably about $2.00 on a 16" pie. Food cost is still high even with a 3X topping price, but then this went on combinations that priced out to 7,8,9 toppings and the other toppings we things like mushrooms, garlic, onions, peppers etc so we came out fine.

It was never a huge seller and we dropped it the next time we printed menus. Still good stuff to talk about in marketing and I am always looking for something else to talk about besides price!

Last edited:
Do any of your suppliers sell thinly sliced ribeye? We have a flat top grill that we cook our’s on. We go through a couple hundred lbs a week, but we’re also in cheese steak country. You can cook chipped rib eye on the hot plate in the afternoon and throw it on a pizza or in a stromboli later on or up to 3 days later. You could also throw it on a roll and send it through your oven like a normal oven sandwich. You could also make a Philly Cheesesteak Pizza with chipped steak, sauteed onions, bell peppers, & mushrooms.

Last edited:
Take a hoagie/sub roll, split it in half, brush the inside with a commercial garlic flavored butter oil, add a couple slices of Provalone cheese, sauteed vegetables (we made then up in advance) and thin sliced steak strips (pre-cooked of course), close the sandwich, brush the top lightly with the garlic flavored butter oil and sprinkle with powdered Parmesan cheese, wrap in silicone baking paper and bake right along with your regular pizzas in an air impingement oven (no changes are needed). We used to make these as part of the instruction at our AIB pizza seminar when I was there, we also made them in our class at the Ohio NAPIC Show…they were REALLY popular there!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back