Continue to Site

Wild Yeast vs Others

jswavey

HELLO,

QUESTIONS:

WOULD YOU CONSIDER USING WILD YEAST OR EVEN A SOUR DOUGH STARTER FOR A NEAPOLITAN STYLE PIZZA?
AS FAR AS THE CAPUTO FLOUR COULD I MIX THIS WITH AN AMERICAN FLOUR AND STILL BAKE AT THE HIGH TEMP’S?

I BELIEVE ANTHONY FROM UNA PIZZA NAPOLETANA’S USES A SOUR DOUGH STARTER.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT CHRIS BIANCO USE’S
I BELIEVE JEFF VARASANO’S IS MIXING FLOURS AND USING A SOUR DOUGH STARTER.

THANK YOU
JS
www.pizzaiolis.com

Last edited:
I would never consider using Caputo flour for commercial purposes unless I lived in Italy! Same for real Italian jet-flown buffalo-milk moz and San Marino Italian tomatoes. It’s simply too expensive to import them thousands of miles. Besides I believe that most Americans wouldn’t really like a real Naples pizza unless they were on vacation in Naples. Their pizzas are too undercooked inside the crust and there isn’t enough cheese compared to a nice NY city pie. I’m not saying that a great pizza margherita isn’t do-able in the US, it’s just that North America isn’t Italy, so why fake it?

Sourdough is no big deal. Refrigerating your dough balls is the great equalizer for problems that might arise from inconsistent sized batches (those for Friday and those for Tuesday), temperature variations in the seasons, etc.

Last edited:
Back