Continue to Site

Will a 1-Horsepower 60Qt. Hobart mix Pizza Dough???

Marthastu

I’m opening a third location and have found a H-600 60Qt. Hobart at a local school that is in great shape, used very gently for general mixing (no doughs) in storage for years and is for sale. My concern is it is only 1 horsepower. It is 3phase 208Volt which is suitable for my electric service. I currently have a P660 hobart which is 3hp and powers thru dough easily. I’ve seen other h600 mixers that are 2Hp but never a 1Hp unit. I mix a NY style dough using 50# flour and approx. 32#water in a batch. Is anyone using a similair HP mixer for pizza dough and how’s it doing? Slowing down during the mix? What speed are you using? My P660 only has two speeds and we mix on speed one for dough.
Thanks all.

Last edited:
Hi Marthastu

You would be best not to use a 50 Lb bag of flour, Half of that would be fine.

George Mills

Last edited:
Our 2nd store is using 25# flour in a VCM40 for pizza dough and we have to measure all the ingredients twice as much,Have 8-10 25# weighed flours stored ahead of time to try to speed up the dough making process & cleanup is a pain in the VCM. We are anxious to use a 60Qt in the future and get each batch done in one step. I do understand that this is probably overloading most 60qt mixers (except the 3HP P660) , but I understand the water percentage of the dough has a lot to do with that and not starting and stopping the mixer under load is CRUCIAL to longevity of the mixer componets. We’ve broken a main shaft and a shear pin even in the P660 by starting it under load.

Last edited:
I’ve worked in a place that used a 1HP 60qt hobart without problem. Personally I would not consider the 60qt because I find it to be a pain in the butt to fit the whole 50lb bag in. 80QT mixers can be found for similar $ as 60qt’s and have no issue swallowing the whole 50LB bag. Although the 60QTs are only supposed to fit 44LBs of flour, you shouldn’t have any problem doing the whole bag.

Last edited:
50 lb. is really a lot for a 60 qt. mixer… i found out the hard way about stopping and starting. broke the dough hook right before a big week-end and had to find someone to heliarc it in a small town.
the gearing is more important than horsepower so stay in low, make smaller batches and get the water in quickly so you don’t load it up. my mixer is probably 80 years old as much as it weighs. i’ve had it 35 years now. j

I have an 60 Quart Mixer and use 50lb bags of flour with No problem. In 12 Years i have had the transmission rebuilt once…

Last edited:
We use 50lb bags in 60 qt but if I was buying new one, I would definitely buy an 80qt. The 60 qt is strained and it makes a mess.

Last edited:
Hey Rob & Pirate…what hp are your mixers? George, is this maybe a replacement motor on this Hobart… a 1 hp seems really small for a 60qt and undersized for pizza dough too say the least. When you look at all the new 60qt mixers out there are between 2.x and 3.x hp and some even higher. ??? :?:

Not too steal a thread here…but I think everyone agrees that a good 60qt can do a 50lbs bag of flour but it is always a tight fit and makes a mess. Why do all the big mixer companies make pizza specific mixers that are all beefed up to handle the hard loads put on them but they are all 60qt bowls. Why not put an 80qt on those machines? It just seems to make a whole lot of sense. :idea:

George, is this maybe a replacement motor on this Hobart… a 1 hp seems really small for a 60qt and undersized for pizza dough too say the least.

I would think that if a motor was being replaced it would have been a 2 HP

George Mills

Last edited:
Just to toss my hat into the ring, the Hobart H-600 is indeed a 1-H.P. mixer, and like I always say, unless you want to begin a per$onal relation$hip with your local mixer repair man, I’d stay away from putting 50-pounds of flour into the bowl. Yes, it will work just peachy for mixing pizza dough, but please be kind to the mixer and limit the dough size to not more than 40-pounds of flour. If we’re talking about a P-660, that’s a whole different story, with a 3-phase P-660 go ahead and use the full bag. That mixer was designed for it. Remember, all mixers are not created equal. Even with the 80-quart mixers there are heavey duty versions, and not so heavy duty. If you have the “pick of the litter” on 80-quart mixers, go for the M-802 with a reverse spiral dough arm and and a flat beater and you’ll be in good shape to mix both dough and sauce.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
I would like to add another idea. Hobart now sells a Legacy 60 Qt Pizza Mixer called the HL662. It comes with 2.7 Hp in single or three phase. With the Legacy you get the new back-saving features like the power bowl lift and the swing out bowl.

Eric Lutz

Last edited:
Eric;
I agree, the new Legacy mixer is everything, and then some, of what an OSHA approved mixer has always wanted to be. Safety, convenience, ease of operation, and GUTS! The agitator release is a real dream too, it sure beats the old bayonet mount. We have one, and I’ve yet to hear it ever complain. We have two pizza shows coming up very soon, and I’m betting that anyone interested can see one at either of the shows, even if you’re not buying, it’s a good mixer to put your hands on to see the state of the art in vertical/planetary mixers, designed specifically for pizzeria and retail bakery applications.
Tom Lehmann/the Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back