Continue to Site

Wings who servers em and how??

pgaks2

ok who all does wings in there restaurant? and how do you do them? we have no fryer in our kitchen but our other restaurant that takes up the other half of our building does. my theory so far is to par fry them, then either finish them in oven(500 degrees) or off of my suate station.
since we are a theatre as well im planning on boneless wings. any favorites?? I am not a fan of ordering in premade stuff, might end up just making my own.

sheb

Last edited:
We bake them in our middlebymarshall oven run them thru twice once opened and once closed

Last edited:
We have tried them a couple of ways, starting with raw wings and with pre-cooked. Initially I thought there would be a savings on the raw, but when you take into account cooked weight compared to raw and the time spent (not mention extra grease trap pumping) going with raw did not save me any money.

We also have only ovens. We use the largest size pre-cooked wings we can get and run them through the ovens with either hot sauce or BBQ sauce. About 1.5 times through does it very nicely but once through works too.

Last edited:
we run deck ovens at 550 degrees, when you say run em through 1.5 - 2 times how long is that with your conveyors? im thinking 7-10 minutes.

Ive got a FSA food show this week guess ill pump my vendors for free samples and try em out.

sheb

Last edited:
we run them thru for 7 minutes each time at 469 degres we thaw them out and thei last good after thawed we close them second time so they dont burn it steams them insted

Last edited:
We thaw them first. Shelf life after they thaw is several days. Our ovens are running about 470 degrees for 7 miuntes. (MM convection ovens) They are sitting on parchment paper on a screen. The parchment keeps the screens from getting caked and the wings slide right off into the “to-go” container. We prep a few pounds in each sauce into pans in the reach-in cooler under the make line to speed things up and keep the rest of the thawed case in the walk-in.

Last edited:
60.png
bodegahwy:
We have tried them a couple of ways, starting with raw wings and with pre-cooked. Initially I thought there would be a savings on the raw, but when you take into account cooked weight compared to raw and the time spent (not mention extra grease trap pumping) going with raw did not save me any money.

We also have only ovens. We use the largest size pre-cooked wings we can get and run them through the ovens with either hot sauce or BBQ sauce. About 1.5 times through does it very nicely but once through works too.
This all being said…Does anyone make anything on Wings!!! Great seller…lousy non profitable item customers love?

Last edited:
48.png
creampuff:
This all being said…Does anyone make anything on Wings!!! Great seller…lousy non profitable item customers love?
You ask a really good question that I ask myself. I do make long term profit on them. but my margins are really unpleasant. I run about 38% food cost unless wings go way back up or oil climbs again. That looks acceptable except that I usually have on guy who is paid to be the “wing guy” regardless of wing volume. The previous 6 months before wings came down (before Mid-March), I was running closer to 44% food costs :shock:

Our pizza guy cannot often do both stations. We mitigate that labor cost by pushing other fried items into the menu, like breaded ravioli, chicken fingers, fried mozz, fried brownie bites and the like. We do move a good 220# of wings a week in our small shop, so we do get some aggregate profit. They are often bundled with pizza orders as well, so I tell myself that I’m getting serendipity add-on orders that I wouldn’t normally get without wings.

It’s a love-hate here. I would have saved $11,500 on build-out if I didn’t have that darned fryer. But, it does add to my top line gross.

Last edited:
I think wings are not just an add on item any longer, nor are they just another appetizer. Places like Wing Stop and Wing Street have taken them off the appetizer menu, and put them right in the center of the plate. Think about it…these darn little wings make enough money to be the foundation of a whole store that is about the same size as most delco pizza places! I don’t know about you, but I want to keep my customer buying from me on their “wing night” as well as on their “pizza night.”
Code:
 I take my son to Karate lessons two nights a week, and the studio he practices at just so happens to be right smack dab in the middle of a Papa John's, and a Wing Stop.  For over seven months now I have been watching them for about an hour and a half each of these nights, and I have noticed that I see more carry out from Wing Stop than I see from both carry out and delivery from PJ's!!!  That is not even taking into account the business that Wing Stop does with sit down!  

The way I see it, you either come up with some great wings of your own to sell (increasing your sales in doing so), or you let your customers choose between the pizza place or the wing place on any given night.  I am not going to let some wing place take my customers away once a week, or month, heck not even once a year if I can help it!!!

Last edited:
Our food cost on wings is not great but compared to pizza where we make dough, make sauce, grind cheese, slice vegies etc etc there is really no prep involved and it is an $8 add on sale. Even less prep than salad. No additional delivery cost too.

We are using the biggest wings we can get. A dozen cooked weigh over a pound. We charge $8 a dozen and $5 a half dozen.

Last edited:
We use precooked frozen. We have hot, bbq, and boneless. we thaw each order as needed in the microwave for 5 min. per dozen. Then in the deck oven for a couple minutes, flip over, then cook for a couple more. I know the microwave sounds kinda cheesy, but the few minutes in the oven gives them a good texture. It might make more sense to pre-thaw as someone mentioned. as for profit, we’re at about 45% cost. We sell the buffalo wings for $7.50/dz. and boneless by the pound. We couldn’t go without them, they’re part of the “Family Feast Deal” which is a huge seller. And we get a lot of wing/bread stick orders.

Tom R

Last edited:
Back