Continue to Site

Wood ovens

passport1

i currently own 12 carryout/delivery pizzerias in metro Detroit and I’ve been trying to figure out how to cut down my wait time. i know that wood ovens can cook pizzas in 90 seconds. I’m trying to figure out some name brands for them if you guys could help me out where to start it would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Not a wood-burning option, but have you looked at the conveyors some of the new fast casual “made to order while you watch” pizza concepts are using? TurboChef is one manufacturer. Bake time for an 8-inch from raw dough is 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Curious Passport1…I’m an ex-Detroiter…what is the name of your shops?

In regards to your oven question, i’m not sure if a wood oven is the best option…

I’m a conveyor guy, but have experience with both wood & traditional decks…would be hard pressed to switch, s we are a volume operation too…

One thing we do is to pre-slap our skins during the rush & keep them on Lloyd’s disks, in an enclosed transit box…we keep a variety of sizes in them, as well as bread/cini stix…

Its within easy reach of the make line, & we havebone staff member just to slap the skins…

During peak hours, a random driver will assist on the make line…

A manager will make all the pies and our drivers work the cut table…

Our operation is a bit unusual, but it works…

We can crank out a 100 pie/hr with few hiccupps…

The TurboChef might be interesting, as it uses microwaves as well as impingement…I’ve used one of there regular TurboChefs and it is fast

Last edited:
You might want to take a look at my (In Lehmann’s Terms)article on pizza ovens.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Hi Passport.

I would suggest you consider the edge 60 air impingement conveyor ovens.

At a 4 minute bake a single deck can produce 112 -16" pizzas per hour a double deck 224 and a triple deck
can produce 336.

We have placed thousands of conveyor ovens in shops nation wide and the concenses of opinion is that a slower bake produces the best product.

What is your desired hourly production?

George Mills

Last edited:
Back