Continue to Site

Wraps Made With Pizza Dough

December

We started making our wraps with our pizza dough a few years ago. We take a small dough(12oz) using a french rolling pin flatten it out to about 18-20 inches. Throw it in the deck oven for about a minute untill it looks like a baloon, take it out then it cools cut it down the middle and I get 2 wraps from it.
Customers love them, problem is its a pain when we get busy. I was thinking of getting a sheeter to do that part quickly but im afraid my dough might not work through it (58% total hydration). Also are there 18inch shetters in existence?

Last edited:
somerset has one…great company & prodects…not cheap tho…look for used on ebay…you might try docking yiur dough or tempering it to reduce ballooning…

Last edited:
A trick that I developed a number of years ago to help speed up the cooling of pita/wraps while at the same time helping to retain their flexibility is to spray the pita/wrap with water immediately upon removal from the oven. It collapses the “bubble” while helping to drop the temperature for a shorter cooling time. If you should be having a problem with cracking at the time of rolling the wrap just spray both sides of the wrap as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
We started making our wraps with our pizza dough a few years ago. We take a small dough(12oz) using a french rolling pin flatten it out to about 18-20 inches. Throw it in the deck oven for about a minute untill it looks like a baloon, take it out then it cools cut it down the middle and I get 2 wraps from it.
Customers love them, problem is its a pain when we get busy. I was thinking of getting a sheeter to do that part quickly but im afraid my dough might not work through it (58% total hydration). Also are there 18inch shetters in existence?
How much yeast is in your dough?

Last edited:
somerset has one…great company & prodects…not cheap tho…look for used on ebay…you might try docking yiur dough or tempering it to reduce ballooning…
My favorite sheeter will always be an Acme double pass. The best! Maybe I’ll try this out and do some pizza burritos!

Last edited:
My questions were though,
  1. Can a 57-58 hydration dough pass through a sheeter with ease?
  2. Can an 18inch sheeter speed upmy process of rolling out these wraps? I currently just use a rolling pin and do it by hand

Last edited:
We have run doughs with 58% absorption through the sheeter without any issues for a good number of years but keep in mind that we were using flour with 12.8% protein content, if your flour is different it might take a little less water when processing through the sheeter., and yes, it will be a lot faster than rolling them out by hand, We would run it through twice, on the first pass the dough piece is elongated and on the second pass it comes out pretty round if your dough has been properly managed.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back