Continue to Site

Your thoughts...once again...

Patriot_sPizza

On “sign spinners” aka human directionals…

I’ve used a version once before, but not sure of its effectiveness…can’t say I’ve ever stopped or bought because of a spinner, but is the ‘Top of Mind’ worth this avenue?

Little Caesar’s uses them, but…

We’re in an off the street spot and a DelCo, but a busy street…

Last edited:
I wasn’t able to locate the thread but my recollection of the topic is there is a split jury. Some took the side that this was a sign of a desperate business looking for a last ditch effort to survive. The other side took the view, as with all marketing, if it works in your area go for it. Since LC closed in my city no shops have used this style of marketing.

Last edited:
LC doesn’t even do this on anymore in my areas. I see it as a tactic that can drive some traffic for a “launch” but after the initial blast and you see it every day then nobody cares anymore. Today’s society is always looking for “different” to attract them for trial.

I see the Liberty Tax folks out on the corners dressed as the Statue of Liberty and the first day you notice but by day 3 they become invisible.

Last edited:
I use my employees as sign spinners once a week. I have three of my better looking girls out in front of the store holding signs announcing our Monday special, and yes it works. The girls hold the signs during peak traffic hours(4pm - 5:30pm) and it really helps. I stopped having them do it and sales dropped $400 on our Monday special. I think worst case, give it a try with your employees and it doesn’t work and you are out $50 for labor.

Last edited:
Why would having someone holding a sign for your business be a sign of desperation? Especially if done right with a professional sign and/or a guy in a pizza costume or something like that. I see a sign holder as just another tool in the marketing tool kit.

Why is a radio ad not a sign of desperation? I’m not connecting the two.

Last edited:
The dancing sign people on the side of the road are very often associated with ‘less prestigeous’ businesses. Sometimes with low end, parasitic businesses. For a perceived middle class business to have a sign dancer on the roadside could be perceived by some as similar to the “we buy gold” parasitic businesses or the seasonal tax preparers or commodity pizza places. Those sorts of places are not often held in high regard, so being associated with them has a potential risk to market perception.

On the other hand, there are more businesses getting into that game, and some businesses are having good successes like pizzaduo. So it appears that it once again comes down to differences in the marketplace you work in. If it is a low risk proposition, then give it a whirl. I think it needs to be a really high chance of blowback not to give it ia try if you have a really high traffic road to capitalize on. Top of mind efforts like this as a part of an ongoing and varied marketing plan could pay really big dividends.

Last edited:
Buy a $500+ pizza costume and a $150 professional sign and I think you will see fantastic results. Forget the spinning, just a friendly person to wave at cars in a costume. People long to be entertained. Perception is 99 percent of the problem with any form of marketing.

Last edited:
48.png
Freddy_Krugerrand:
Perception is 99 percent of the problem with any form of marketing.
The core of the issues you asked about . . . . perception can work against shops because of association. I do agree that done well, and not as the only marketing, it could work in the right location.

Last edited:
Although they might work in some markets… personally I relate them to desperate operations. The tax people, closeout sales,…etc. Might drum up sales but leaves image in our minds.

I’ve previously considered a mascot costume, ala a snappy tomato…but the school mascot is a BIG gold knight, and it might be simple to mimic a version for use…

I think a mascot would have better perception, like the one used by Little Caesar’s

Last edited:
Back