Anybody using EDGE ovens?

Is anybody using the Edge conveyor ovens in there store? Any feedback would be helpfull. Gas and electric savings, quality, service, bake, etc. Thanks

I’m using Edge ovens and have been quite happy with them. I installed a triple stack of 60’s about two years ago. My gas and electric savings have been significant. The gas savings because they are that efficient. Electric savings I can only imagine because it doesn’t blow near the amount of hot air out the ends heating up my store, requiring more A/C. The quality of cook is great. They are much quieter than any other conveyors I’ve used. The owners of the company are first class and stand behind what they sell. Quite a few here on the think tank have purchased refurbished ovens from them over the years. I don’t know where you’re from but if you are interested, feel free to come by and check them out in my shop. You can bring product with you and play with the time and temp and see if it cooks your product well. I’m only a couple hours north of the PMQ Orlando pizza show in September.

We have been using Edge 60 ovens for 1.5 years and they have nearly paid for themselves in energy saving/maintenance costs. I am saving 200-300/month in gas and probably 400-600/month in electric. Our ac keeps the store cool even on the hottest days in Florida. I have had zero repairs and Myself and a helper can clean both ovens in 2 hours. In the past we used an outside company to clean our ovens every 3 months.
I have owned middleby 200’s, 250’s, 350’s, 360’s, 570’s 360wb, 360wb70’s, blodgett 3255’s, 3270’s, lincoln 1000’s, 1450’s, ctx70’s, ctx dz55’s, xlt 3270’s lincoln x2/eflows, randell/pizza pride, and the only oven that I would consider other than the Edge would be middleby 570’s. The Edge ovens are efficient, quiet, bake a great pizza, and won’t break your budget up front like the middleby’s will. The fact that you can take off the control can with almost all mechanical parts in 5 minutes and ship it back to the factory to be repaired could end up saving you thousands in repairs in the long run.
I know 4 other people who replaced their ovens with edge ovens and they are all very happy with their decision.

Sorry I took so lonk getting back, but I wanted to thank you for the feedback on the EDGE ovens. Appears as though everybody is happy with them.

I just talked with the owner of EDGE at a food show this past weekend. We’re taking a serious look at these ovens for when we open another store or decide we’re finally tired of fixing the Blodgetts (and our A/C units).

They have a trailer with its own gas & electric supply they will load up with an oven and bring to your store so you can perform test bakes/see them in action out in the parking lot.

Anyone in the market for 8 or so Blodgett 3270’s?

We finally pulled the trigger and replaced our 3270s with Edge 60s.

I’m already loving the split-belt option we ordered on the middle deck. It allows us to set one lane for breadsticks and the other lane for pizzas so as to need only one oven during the slow afternoons and on weekend days instead of the two we used to always run.

Anybody in the market for a couple triple stacks of used MM 3270s?

Not too far back I did an evaluation article on some of the new, high efficiency air impingement ovens (Edge, XLT, Lincoln, and Advantec). While there are specific pluses and minuses to each, preformance wise, they were all very close to being shoulder to to shoulder. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, if you put them all together in a bag, shook them up, and poured them out, I’d be very happy to use the first one to come out, whichever one it was, they’re that good. While my testing did not include the Middleby Marshall, WOW Oven, I’ve had enough experience working with it to say that it would also perform comparably well too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I’m happy to see that you switched and I’m sure they’ll work out well for you. Mark is on his way to Florida to install Edge ovens in three more stores of our company. Brad, keep an eye on your gas usage. Mine went down about 25% when I switched.

Paul,

I’m hoping to see at least a 20% drop in gas consumption just based on BTU ratings. And I’ve figured that the electric consumption of the single-motor Edge ovens are about 1/3rd that of the old 4-motor Blodgetts, which should save about 10% on our electric bill every month

And then there is the split belt factor. If I can get the managers into the habit of going down to a single oven during our slow times, those hours will add up to equal not running one entire oven for 1 1/2 or 2 days per week!

If I get some down time later this week, I plan to go through my repair bills to see how much the old ovens were costing me in upkeep every year. THAT could be the biggest savings of all.

In the few months we’ve had these new ovens, our gas bills have seen a reduction in therms used of about 1/3rd. The North location dropped from just under 600 to 400 and South dropped from around 525 to 350 with corresponding drops to $ cost. Not only are they more efficient, but the managers are consistently going down to only one oven in the afternoons.

It looks like our electric bills are lower as well, but it’s hard to pin down what is because of the ovens and what is related to A/C costs over the last few months. I’ll have a much better feel for the savings once consistent cooler weather has settled in and I can compare to previous years.

Tom the dough doctor sates,

Not too far back I did an evaluation article on some of the new, high efficiency air impingement ovens (Edge, XLT, Lincoln, and Advantec). While there are specific pluses and minuses to each, performance wise, they were all very close to being shoulder to shoulder. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, if you put them all together in a bag, shook them up, and poured them out, I’d be very happy to use the first one to come out, whichever one it was, they’re that good.

That is my assessment also.The difference I see is that the Edge oven and XLT are lees costly then the others and the biggest difference is that the XLT has a five year warranty. I would think if the other manufactures had confidence in their ovens they would match that warranty.

George mills

George great point. I know most commercial warranties are 1 yr p&l and some extend to two years parts…but with prices being high on everything why cant mfgs stand behind their product better? Why not a 5 year p&l? If your product is as good as you say…this should cost almost nothing to offer! To all the mfgs out there…step up too the plate! You want higher sales numbers than make the known operating cost known upfront! Operators will be more willing to buy large items when they know what their costs for the first 5 years will be. Car makers have had to do this and many refer mfgs offer 5 yr std on compressors now…how about the entire unit? Just a thought. :idea:

Here is the comparison from one store’s gas bill:
You can see the point in time where we installed the new Edge ovens. The other store’s history looks just like that one.

I’m happy.

Brad, and everyone else who has chimed in on this thread, thanks! I had asked about the QII or whatever, and Paul threw the EDGE at me. This information helps a lot, I wish I’d found this thread earlier. If I have more ??s I will be here with them, rather than the QMatic thread I started.

Cool. er…HOT…er…yeah…

Think about just getting one Edge oven vrs 2…one wil suffice for a new start-up…you can always add another when business warrants…

Hi Brad:

There is a possibility that conversion to almost any late model air impingement ovens would have resulted in somewhat the same reductions in operating cost.

The oven manufacturers do not make the gas burners and modulating gas valves that are now used on most all ovens.I think the operating components are buy outs and the oven manufactures pretty much just make the frame works and the shells.

The older ovens, say pre 2009, had gas burner systems that only burned, the manufacturer says, about 80% of the gas consumed. They say the new burner burns 98% of the gas. That’s about a 20 % increase in efficiency. The modulating gas valves also add to the efficiency of the late model ovens.

I know of no testing agency that has published comparative tests of all the makes of impingement ovens.

It would be interesting to see the results of such a test.

George Mills

George,
I would have to respectfully disagree. As the manufacturer of the EDGE Series of ovens I avoid posting in threads that are about ovens, but in this case I believe I must point out the facts.

I would first like to say we have tested our ovens energy efficiency against our competitors comparable sized ovens in our facility and in real world conditions and would love to have an independent test performed on our EDGE ovens, the ovens you sell (XLT), and others ( Middleby Marshall and Lincoln). I would welcome any test that is done under real world conditions in a pizza shop were the ovens are actually used and not in a controlled environment test facility were the ovens are allowed to set at idle without any product in them (this is not real world usage). We are proud to publish our energy consumption in all of our sales literature and on our website. We are unaware of any other manufacturer that publishes these results let alone encourages their customers to compare them.

The burner used in the EDGE ovens is different than what other manufacturers are using. We have always used the i-HEAT modulating gas burner in our ovens. This burner allows us to modulate both the gas and combustion air. Each model of oven has an air to fuel algorithm that is designed to be very efficient in each particular oven model. We are unaware of any other of manufacture that has this much control of their combustion process.

The EDGE ovens are also designed to move air more efficiently than many of our competitors ovens which results in less air lost to the environment. This is helpful in two ways. First, if the oven is not losing air to the environment it is not having to heat as much cool air, saving on gas consumption. Second, when an oven expels less hot air into the building environment it allows your air conditioning and refrigeration equipment to run less resulting in much lower electrical utility costs. I realize there are some special hood systems available to eliminate this heat lose into the building environment, but the heat is still lost.

In the interest of full disclosure there sometimes is a price to pay for this efficiency. In some cases, but not all, the EDGE oven may have a 10-30 second slower bake time then some of our competitors. This slower bake time is often eliminated by our willingness to work with our customers to help determine a finger pattern that bakes their product effectively.

In closing I would like to say that we at EDGE Ovens do believe there is a difference in the current class of impingement ovens.

I agree that it would be enlightening to have a comparison of operating costs of all the popular air impingement ovens. Manufacturers make various claims for their products such as 30 or 40% reduction in operating cost as compared to older models but there appears to be no comprehensive
independent comparison tests of the various makes for a buyer to consider.

If there is a better burner or other technology available to reduce operating costs I would think that by publicizing differences in operating costs it would encourage manufacturers to adapt those technologies or spur them to develop even better ones.

There are independent tests of automobile gas mileages that spur efficiency competition among the auto makers. Why not in this industry?

George Mills

I’m sold. I’ll purchase double-stack 60s in January. :smiley:

I had XLT 3270 ovens and replaced them with Edge 60 ovens In January 2009. My gas bill did go down. My Electric bill did go down. My store is cooler and quieter. Both ovens bake great pizzas. To say XLT has the lowest purchase price is a false statement.