Anybody using EDGE ovens?

Hi Perfect:

As I pointed out in a prior post “The older ovens, say pre 2009, had gas burner systems that only burned, the manufacturer says, about 80% of the gas consumed. They say the new burner burns 98% of the gas. That’s about a 20 % increase in efficiency. The modulating gas valves also add to the efficiency of the late model ovens.”

Your XLT ovens were obviously pre 2009, any of the top impingement ovens you would have purchased in 2009 or after would have shown a substantial reduction in operating cost.

That is the point I was trying to get across when I entered my first posting. All the impingement ovens purchased after 2009 are much more efficient.

As subsequent postings by manufactures show there has been no independent comparative test by a reliable testing agency so until that happens I never make a statement as to the comparative efficiency of the various brands.

George Mills

Wouldn’t all this information be better served in the “Anybody using XLT ovens?” thread?

by brad randall » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Wouldn’t all this information be better served in the “Anybody using XLT ovens?” thread?

Hi Brad:

In My own postings I never mentioned XLT. My observations were that, all the new air impingement ovens have greatly improved their efficiency in the last few years.

In any case where older ovens are replaced with any of the new models there will be notable reductions in the operating costs. That one brand’s new model is superior to another’s older model does not indicate that the newer models of the brand replaced would not replicate the efficiency of the model recently purchased.

Edge and XLT got off on a tangent.

George Mills

This is likely the start of this pizzing contest:

In My own postings I never mentioned XLT
[/quote

I should have been more precise in what I said.

I was indicating that I had not mentioned XLT in this particular thread.

Of course I have mentioned them in the past.

Again the point I was making was that all air impingement oven manufactures, that I know of, have, in the last few years, up graded their ovens to be much more efficient. So any of the new models will be more efficient than their’s or any one else’s older ovens that do not have the improved burners and modulating systems.

George Mills

That comment was in this thread.

You are correct the discussion has grown so long that I lost track. My mistake

George Mills

Now that fault and blame have been established…can we get back on topic, and stop the pizzing wars?

Please? :roll:

OK with me
George Mills

Unless you are just looking for agreeable responses, this is all good. These are the two ovens I’m looking at and I think the debating and counter-points are helpful.

It would be very educational if the sponsors of one of the big pizza shows would invite all the major manufacturers to a competition at their show where the ovens were set up side by side and operated in an identical fashion while measuring production, gas consumption, electrical consumption and ambient heat and noise emissions. The Big Oven Challenge of 2012!!

Ok I am talking now without any cost numbers or usage figures…just a little common sense. It seems too me that all of the stated oven mfg’s make a decent product. Yes there are variables in cost to purchase and operate. Yes there are differences in design and warranties. For the most part, be it a deck or a belt oven…they all fall within a small percentage of each other in their own grouping. The real bottom line here is how will any oven produce my product. There will always be people that only buy Ford pickups and not Chevy’s. Same with the ovens I am guessing. I also believe that for every positive comment I can find a negative one for any product on the market. I agree that the mfg’s should only post specs and actual statistics about their own products and not make it a “pizzing” war…(I like that one, whomever posted that!) I know that when someone else states a false comment you feel the need correct…and that is fine. Just don’t egg on the OP of that comment and lower the impression of your company by engaging in that type of exchange. Correct and post the accurate info and let the end-users make their own decisions based on the proper info. I also find it a little pitty too pick on every last word that George has posted because he is in a unique position and does have the first hand info from many operations that use a whole spectrum of equipment. It would be different if he was always pushing items he sold…but I do not see him doing that. He offers advice and real world suggestions…but maybe I missed it…he never really pushes anything. He is an asset to forums like the TT. That said… yes he does sell a product and I would expect a slight bias but he still seems to convey an open minded answer too our questions. I think at the end of the day…we as owners / buyers of these expensive and of utmost pieces of equipment need two things. First would be the real-world hands-on experience of other end-users that do what we do. The second, when possible, would be a hands-on trial of the equipment at your locations with your ingredients and as many of your variables at play as possible. Any savings in utilities will be a happy second bonus…after you realize that your pizzas are as good as you can make them. If the few hundred in utility savings a month is your deciding factor in an oven…you have bigger issues than oven choice! :!:

Mike,
I know several operators that a few hundred bucks a month would make the difference on whether or not it was worth being open, but then again they would not be looking to buy a new oven.

Rick don’t get me wrong…any savings that equals a higher profit is great…but like you said…those are not the people shopping for $20-60k in ovens. I would also say that although I give anyone with the guts to tackle the restaurant world or any business for that matter a whole lot of credit and respect… I also would tell the same person that if a couple of hundred dollars is the make or break of your operation then you have provided yourself with a low paying job at best and if that level of income trended for a significant period I would say an exit plan should be thought out before the business makes that plan for you.