Ask Chris Barr a Question

Submit your questions here.

test question.

Tons of free resources posted at the PMQ link below… Check out food photography, pizza menu designs, marketing articles, and much more. Let’s sell more pizza!

http://pmq.com/marketingvault/taradel_resources.php

Hey folks,

Just a quick note - I made a short video to answer the “Top 5 Questions About Every Door Direct Mail”. You can check it out on YouTube at the link below. I hope this is helpful, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/LuqlQKkCDYk

What is the most effective size for mail out menus? and why?

I have tried the 8 1/2 X 11 tri-fold full color and am thinking about going to 11 X 17 tri-fold.

Good afternoon Daddio,

For pizzeria direct mail campaigns, an 11x17 menu is the ideal “standard” size/format (in my opinion).

Why Not 8.5x11?
When tri-folded, an 8.5x11 menu has a small 3.5" x 8.5" folded size …which is easy to miss. In most cases, households receive numerous letters, offers, and magazines on a daily basis that will dwarf the size of a folded 8.5x11 menu. This reduces your visibility, appeal, and ultimately, your conversion rates. While this is not the ideal-sized menu for direct mail, it still may generate a profitable ROI.

Why the 11x17 Works:
With an 11x17, the tri-folded size is at least 5" x 11" (for a tri-fold w/ coupon strip). This size is larger than a standard envelope, and basically “forces” the individual to handle your piece and decide “Do I want this or not?” The cover of your menu is critical here. Always include a benefit on the cover of your menu such as “Lower prices, Amazing Coupons - Look Inside!”

Even better, the new Every Door Direct Mail format requires an 11x17 menu to be a half-fold (flat) or half-fold with a coupon strip. This format increase the folded size to either 8.5x11 or 7.4x11, which is even more visible and more effective. The larger size also enables you to include beautiful food images, larger coupons, and easier-to-read font sizes. Your 11x17 menu will also stand out more when it is in the kitchen cabinet with a dozen other restaurant menus (for additional future sales).

With a turnkey design+print+mail program like the one we offer at Taradel, a few extra pennies per piece will enable you to use the 11x17 format over the 8.5x11 format, greatly enhancing your visibility, branding, and sales.

I’ve worked with hundreds of pizzerias and the average response rate (for a properly designed 11x17 menu) falls between 3% and 12.5% via direct mail. Your reputation, competition, food quality, service, offers, and even the weather can (and will) influence your ROI at the end of the day.

I hope this helps, thanks Daddio!

There are some formats which are on the internet to study, to how to set the format of the
main which are sending directly to people

Football Season - Pizza Menus & Marketing

Hey folks, here is some information about promoting your pizzas, wings, etc for football season. I get calls almost every day from pizza operators looking to cash in and gain more market share during the NFL and NCAA seasons. Why let competitors and national chains take all of the orders?

I have create a page with information about using Every Door Direct Mail to dominate your local area and capture sales volume during football season. You can target local customers online, get samples, etc.

Check it out here:
http://www.taradel.com/football-pizza-menus

http://www.taradel.com/cmsimages/football-menu-directmail-sm.jpg

Chris, I have a local franchise in St.Louis. I own one of 20 stores and my store has been in business for 9 years. We are struggling to find an advertising campaign. We do no advertising as a franchise even though the company has been around for almost 30 years. It is kind of a free for all for each individual owner. I have been using Advo wich is now Valasis I guess, and this seems to work the best. I know the rate of return on marriage mail is not very high, but this seems like it does the best for me. I send out 20,000 twice a month for a toal of 40,000 a month and spend roughly $2800.00. We recently started Kamorons loyalty program and use internet ordering as well. Am I better off direct mailing a smaller group with a 11x17 menu or should we stick with the Valasis. It seems like a ton of money to spend each month for a very small success rate with the marriage mail. My budeget is only $3,000 a month that will not direct mail a huge area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You!

I’m approaching an investor for pizza box manufacturing and could use the number of boxes (both to-go and delivery) used each year. 12-18 inch corrugated, both B and E flute. I’ve been searching all over the internet and can’t find my original notes of $1-1.5 billion annually in box sales. Please and thank you.

pizza boxes

Hello Chris, Gathering data for a business plan to manufacture pizza boxes here in the states. Would like to know how many boxes are sold nationally per year. Any ideas where I could find the information? Thank you.