Building your own POS System

That’s nice and all, but what I really meant is having an onsite backup appliance that will backup your server. This appliance also gets backed up to the cloud just in case it fails. If your server dies it can spin up a virtual machine of your server and you’re back up and running like nothing happened in minutes. I highly doubt any small Pizza Shop is at that level unless it’s one of those big chains who has their own IT team.

Hannah: Thrive-Granbury looks like they are offering a good product… still looking at it. The price tag is something that will keep many from adopting. I personally would like to understand the Caller ID interface? Do you take phone calls from customers directly in the shop or are they handled remotely by a call center and the order is forwarded to your shop?

MPS: Is the appliance you are referring to separate to the POS software? Or are you suggesting there is a company that is offering such a POS product that can handle pizza delivery? What you are referring to seems like what Dominos had used or implemented in the past as I recall.

I have looked at posnet.us not recommending and not sure if they are for real. Currently using Point of Success but see the benefits of the cloud and an open architecture and device neutrality not to mention ecommerce. I have really enjoyed the google environment on my chromebook and android devices that are accessible on the PC and Mac that I use for designing… I have to believe that this is only the beginning of the revolution and that there will be more and more choices soon. A number of POS options on Google webstore but who has the time to test and I am sure there is still the issue of Caller ID and ultimately ownership of the software if the company goes belly up.

Thrive is designed for pizza. The caller ID pulls up customer info and shows the customers history. You can Either have it in a call center but it was set up directly at the store. everything is integrated into the POS. It also has a google maps interface to map out the drivers delivery routes and map out territories. On line order go into the pos, and it will handle deferred orders and then they show up in front of the chef and alert through email to let everyone in the store know it is time to prepare the order.

It’s a standalone backup appliance that will backup all your machines in the store. If the server dies it will boot it up as a virtual machine and you’re back in business almost immediately until you can get your server back up and running. Two leaders in this space are Datto, and Axcient.