Confession: Steak & Potato counterfeit

I must confess today to the assembled professionals here that I blatantly modeled a pizza design/idea after one by a fellow pizzaiolo. I then was able to make a big hit in my market. I decided it was acceptable since he is 800 miles or so away from me, and not likely to feel a competitive impact. I hope he is flattered by the imitation, as that is what was intended.

I got it from avalanche Pizza in Athens, Ohio http://www.avalanchepizza.net/Main.php?page=menu#sig who has a whole gaggle of great idea pizzas on his menu. I did make my own sauce to create this jewel, and used my own cheese blend. The hit was not as big as the BBQ Chicken in September, but the repeat customers are more steady. Mine is a Besciamella (more a sauce creme, but that’s French) with a hint of roasted garlic and Parmesan topped with mozz/prov, thin sliced steak, diced potato, and a light hit of cheddar on top.

I have just recently gone a little over the edge and put the toppings in a roll and called it a sandwich . . . steak and potato sautéed together with a couple rings of onion, white sauce and white American cheese on base . . .filling . . . white sauce and cheddar finish. wrap and bake for 5 minutes in pizza deck.

If you need a new autumn winner, this pizza and sandwich combo could do it for you. Heck, stromboli, calzone, and wrap would also work!

Nick;
Toss on a couple strips of grilled red pepper and I’ll have one of those sandwiches for lunch today!
Sounds great!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

My god man…I’ll second that order. Tomorrow, I’ll come back for a Godzilla…then maybe save up all my points until saturday night and get THE NUGE!!! That place is awesome.

I prefer to call it inspiration not counterfeit.

PS I’ll take one of those please! While I wipe the drool of my chin.

Hey Nick;
You’ve got us all hooked!
I think maybe it’s time that someone suggested to Steve Green that we have a sandwich competition similar to our pizza competioion. Being a judge on that event would be just as much fun as it is for the pizza competioion.

Shoot! Who do I call and what do I have to commit to in order to get that going? I’d love to judge and/or help develop a structure to get it off the ground. Something like sandwiches is so endemic to the pizzeria industry that folks will trot out some big guns for that sort of competition. categories for grilled, cold, meat, chicken, seafood . . . the mind is already reeling!

I already have sponsors in mind as well, who would be willing to pony up if a big name had it going on as opposed to just some schmuck in Grantville what got some big idea :smiley:

Pass it on th Steve Green at sg@pmq.com. I’m with you, I don’t think it would be too hard to put a competition together.
Go for it!

Don’t feel at all guilty. You made it your own.
Somewhere, there’s a guy who was the very first person to ever put ham and pineapple on a pizza…

send one my way great job now what is Besciamella ? and what kind of toppings did you use on your BBQ? can we have the recipe for that AND THE BESCIAMELLA SAUCE i am more than 800 miles away from you … thank you i can not wait to try it on my pizza here is one for you if want to try no sauce roma tomato slices mozz feta sudried tomato little olive oil bake it add fresh basil after baking good luck and thanks

Exactly…somewhere there is a guy/gal that stepped outside the box and went beyond the norm. Nick is clearly inspiration as to go with what you think will work. I love reading him and his stories. I didn’t care for him at the onset, which is something I am not afraid to admit. However, reading his passion and pledge to be the best and to stick to what comes to mind started to amaze me as so few will take that extra step.

I really hope Nick and his family becomes the place to go in his state.

PD

Glad you are not afraid to admit it :slight_smile: Fear messes up the food. I seem to have that whole “early abrasion-grow on people” effect on people as far back as college. I am better now than I used to be . . . really.

As for the recipe for a Besciamella (Italian name for Bechamel), it is pretty simple.

I started with this :

Milk 3 qts 6 lbs
flour 1 cup (dip/sweep) 5 ounces
butter 1 cup 8 ounces

Make blond roux with butter & flour, then add room temp to tepid milk. Bring to heavy simmer to thicken . . . stir frequently. Once thick enough to coat the back of a spoon lightly, it is done.

I then make it a Sauce Creme by adding 1 qt (2 lb) heavy cream to the sauce and stir. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes to reduce slightly and thicken. It will be a medium thickness sauce at this point. I then whisk in 1 cup (8 oz) grated parmesan, 1 Tablespoon (.85 ounces) table salt, and 1 tablespoon (.35 ounces) granulated garlic. I go granulated for ease if even distribution. Cool sauce quickly and store, or hold for up to an hour on a steam table. If held longer, you’ll need to thin it out more, I would imagine. Don’t hold too long, though as it will keep cooking and lose the cream flavor character to be more like cooked milk.

It is a general cream sauce base that I add to. I got the general idea from a chef’s publicly posted recipe on another forum. Then I tested until it tasted thew way I wanted it to. Very silky, and very light hint of garlic and parm flavor. It will hold in a cold cooler for 10 days just fine . . . but DO NOT hold that long in your store . . . follow the food safety guidelines.

OH! Put it in a squeeze bottle with a tip trimmed just under half way down. MAN, will it be easy to apply to a pizza. Swirl it on the crust (or sandwich) in circles to distribute well, and leave it there. I use a scale to get the right amount of sauce (8 ounces for 16 inch pie). No need to spread as the heat and cheese will do that for you.

I will try your pie out. We don’t normally carry sun-dried 'maters, but I’ll get some at the grocery to try it out.

BBQ Chicken is another that I got from a gaggle of other shops doing the same thing. Find a BBQ sauce that you and your customers like. I have one I blend in house that works well (sorry, no sharing on that one). I put my regular sauce down first . . .light saucing, though . . .then a healthy dose of BBQ. Without my pizza sauce, the BBQ is a little hard to taste . . . and mixing it together makes it too strong. Go figure. Some red onion, and light sprinkle of bacon. It was a huge hit, and glad someone here mentioned it at just the right time in August for me to roll out in September. We still make them daily.

12" pie is 4 oz diced chicken, 1.5 ounce sliced red onion, 1/2 ounce bacon bits. Last two are highlight flavors only for me, but can be done more for bigger flavor.

Nick thanks CPK do the BBQ chicken and it is thier number one seller
bbq master piece or sweet baby i like sweet baby then they add mozz smoked gouda cilantro red onion i used to have a pizza shop and this was my second best seller after the pepperoni anyway let me know how the sundried matter is going to come out
thanks

Jeepers, I need to learn how to quote here. I understand abrasion! I settled a tad too. The pizzeria made me do it. Biotch, former, past tense.

Just keep keeping on. You and your family seem like you have a great place…friendly, always trying to improve and like a second to home.

I did the sauce very similar to yours (many thanks to my main guy in the shop, Jonathon) but OH!! flipping squeeze bottle, MAN, I never thought of that.

PD

We buy them by the dozen around my shop. Wait till you find the WIDE MOUTH ones that have lids the width of the whole bottle! You’ll be strutting in high cotton then! Filling and cleaning is almost play-time with those.

I get mine @ Sam’s

I have been playing around with three pizza recipes right now The “TACO”, “The Rueben” and “The Cordon Bleu.”

The Taco is Refried Beans, and Enchilada sauce mixed in a blender, and spread on the pie shell, covered with beef, onions, green pepper, olives, tomatoes, Mozzerella, & Cheddar, with optional lettuce, Jalapenos, Salsa, Guacamole, and Sour Cream.

The Rueben is simply Corned Beef, on Thousand Island Dressing, with Sauerkraut, covered in Mozzerella/Swiss, with a sprinkle of Ground Caraway. This has been a very popular pizza.

The Cordon Bleu is simply Chicken, & Ham, on a Dijon Mustard Base, Covered in Mozzerella/Swiss.

All have been very popular.

Thinking of adding a Philly Cheese Steak Pizza next, any suggestions?

Being from Idaho, today I tried my own version of the “Loaded Baked Potato” pizza. I spread prepared instant mashed potatoes and cheese sauce (wiz) on a 12" pizza shell, then added red onions, bacon, broccoli, then topped it with cheddar and Mozzarella. The owner of the shop came in to pick up the night’s deposit and I let him try a slice. He said it was quite tasty.

I love experimenting and working for a place that allows it.

In addition to the beef, use carmelized onions, and cheddar cheese. You might want to experiment with using some Cheese Whiz either before or after baking. This would add a nice authentic touch.

Gonna love that caramelized onions add-on!