Driver ran over a motorized bicycle

So last night our night rush started out with a phone call from an upset customer saying my driver ran over her dad’s $5000 motorized bicycle. So after getting everyone’s story here is what happened. Driver gets to his delivery and the girl who ordered is not home he calls her and she is down the street at her bfs house. Her bf lends her his dad’s really expensive bike to go meet the driver to pick up the pizzas. Driver is parked on the street and waiting for her at the front door to the address she gave for delivery. When she meets him she puts the bike down on the curb with half of it laying out in the street. The driver claims he didn’t see it but he felt it when he ran it over. He thinks she put it down right in front of his truck so when got back in his truck he couldn’t see it. She says it wasn’t right in front of his truck but it was far enough in front of his truck to where he should have seen it and not ran it over. It turns out the girls father runs a surf camp that we deliver pizzas to every week throughout the whole summer he orders about 150 bucks worth every week. So he comes in last night he wasn’t upset but wants to go 50/50 on fixing the bike because he knows she messed up and shouldn’t have left the bike hanging out on the street. My driver doesn’t think he is at fault because he is sure that she laid it down right in front of his truck and how was he supposed to know it was there. I’m not sure what to do with this situation and feel like I will probably have to eat the cost as I don’t want our place to look bad.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Your driver has auto insurance, right? Offer to pay any deductible on the claim to the Property Damage portion of your driver’s auto insurance.

I was going to ask, What is the insurance situation ? If driver is not telling insurance co he is delivery pizza, they will probably drop him.

If you want to avoid headaches, pay him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure his insurance won’t cover and they will drop them. I feel like if I try and go through mine they won’t cover it either because she left it in the street.

If you can swing the $2500, I would just pay it. At least he isn’t asking for full and is accepting partial responsibility for his end.

Yea that’s what I was thinking I don’t want any bad rap for the shop.

How bad was it run over? The prime cost center of the bike is in the battery, followed by the motor. I have seen battery’s in the $1000 to $3000 range regularly. If he got lucky and just nailed the wheel, those can be replaced and respoked. Do you know the make of the eBike? Is it really worthy of a complete replacement, and not repair?

List of 10 most expensive eBikes: https://www.electricbike.com/ten-most-expensive-electric-bikes/

It sounds like it’s just the wheel the guy told me it’s not the motor but he hadn’t seen it yet so I don’t know what is damaged. I don’t know what kind of bike it is I’m waiting for some pics.

Bottom line, you are responsible for what you run over and it sounds like the customer is being very reasonable. Whether it is your driver or you who makes it, the payment should be made. Personally, I think the driver should pay. You could work it out with the driver as an employee loan and give them several months to pay it off.

I would agree to pay half of whatever the repairs cost. It sounds from the comments above like it would be something less than $2500 (half the total value of the bike).

All education is expensive.

Is the driver an “employee” or a “contractor”?..If the driver is an employee IMO you are likely for the damage they cause…Do you have non-owned auto coverage on your policy?..If you do, if the driver’s insurance does not respond your own policy should…If you do not have “non owned” coverage you should…Good luck…

He is an employee and yes I have non owned just waiting to see what kind of damage has been done before I call the insurance.

I’m definitely going to pay the guy half. That’s was my other question as to who should foot the bill whether I do it or make my driver do it. I know that I am responsible for my drivers but this was to me an odd instance of who should be responsible. I’ve been doing this for 7 years now and this is the first incident that I have had to deal with and was needing some advice.

More importantly, who pays $5,000.00 for a bicycle?

So it turns out the bike is totaled it’s not 5,000 it’s a 1,000 bike. I spoke to my driver and he doesn’t think it’s his fault and that he shouldn’t have to pay because she left it in the street. From an insurance standpoint I already know this is going to be a 50/50 split because it’s a he said she said as far as the details go. I’m just not sure what to do with my driver if he doesn’t step up and take care of this. I feel like if I don’t hold him accountable then this will open a can of worms of drivers thinking they can cause damage and I will foot the bill.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161011/f2e050c164f955f4cd488e555bdb638b.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161011/43969a64b46e4a18a346e2e79b849939.jpg
This is the bike and the damage done to it.

Maybe make him pay half of your end ($250?). He needs to be accountable for his actions.

If he can’t afford it, lay it out and get him to repay you

This reminds me of the typical read end car accident. "The lady pulled out in front of me and I couldn’t stop. "

Doesn’t matter, your 100% at fault for rear ending her . Circumstances don’t matter

Man that bike is neglected…look at that rusty chain, those filthy wheels. Granted that has nothing to do with the fact that the guy ran it over, but still a bummer because the person is acting like it’s their prized possession or something

I was picturing this:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161011/c633af12e2f60ca5df74422bd341955d.png

You know what I was picturing the same thing something super fancy and nice. He is still acting like it even with these pictures and wants to split 2gs. This is going to be the problem most likely.

Pretty sure the moving car is 100% responsible for the damage…There is usually an onus on the driver to make sure everything is clear before backing up…

And as I already said earlier, you likely can not legally pass this along to your employee…You might be able to fire him for being negligent but the laws may not permit you to recover from him…

He didn’t back over it he drove straight and ran it over he was parked on the street she put it down in front of his truck. I’m not disagreeing that he isnt responsible for clearing the road. It’s just not what she described.